The Student Room Group

Chance of offer from UCL Mathematics

I've been predicted A* (Maths), A* (Further Maths) and A (Physics) and have submitted my UCAS application, putting UCL Mathematics Bsc first choice.

People have recently been telling me that these grades might not be good enough to get an offer which has made me quite nervous. Is this true?
Where else have you applied?
Warwick (Mathematics), Bristol (Mathematics), Bath (Mathematics), Bath (Maths, Stats and Data Science).
Can't see why you wouldn't get an offer, you meet the requirements, and are taking the necessary subjects of maths and FM. It's also not one of the "top" maths courses out there (which would generally be considered to be Warwick, Imperial, Oxford, and Cambridge by a wide margin, followed by Bristol, with UCL and Bath and other courses following Bristol by a much smaller margin). So they get a lot of attrition from those applying to the first lot of unis anyway who they know will put one of those other courses as their firm choice over UCL.
Original post by artful_lounger
Can't see why you wouldn't get an offer, you meet the requirements, and are taking the necessary subjects of maths and FM. It's also not one of the "top" maths courses out there (which would generally be considered to be Warwick, Imperial, Oxford, and Cambridge by a wide margin, followed by Bristol, with UCL and Bath and other courses following Bristol by a much smaller margin). So they get a lot of attrition from those applying to the first lot of unis anyway who they know will put one of those other courses as their firm choice over UCL.

I got an offer from both ucl and bristol for a masters in maths. But im rlly conflicted bcos i wanna stay in london, ucl is...ucl, the job prospects r slightly better, however bristol has a better maths department and ive been seeing in couple tsr forums that the maths department at UCL is crappy, and some of the lectures r bad too, and bristol seems rlly pretty.

Idl what to choose please help.....
Original post by Askingissuccess
I got an offer from both ucl and bristol for a masters in maths. But im rlly conflicted bcos i wanna stay in london, ucl is...ucl, the job prospects r slightly better, however bristol has a better maths department and ive been seeing in couple tsr forums that the maths department at UCL is crappy, and some of the lectures r bad too, and bristol seems rlly pretty.

Idl what to choose please help.....

Ultimately it's up to you - nobody can make the decision for you!

Some things to consider:

what you want to do after you graduate (if you want to go into investment banking or management consulting it makes a difference which of the two you go to; for most other things, not so much), cost of living (both are expensive cities - if you already live in London though and can commute from home there that might save you money, but bear in mind you'd have a reduced maintenance loan then and it might have effects on your social life)

academic opportunities/quality at the uni (probably similar on the whole but I get the impression Bristol is generally considered slightly better, but I think the difference between Bristol and UCL is smaller than say, Warwick and Bristol)

facilities/accommodation/etc options at each (if you can't live without the uni having X sports team or something to play on, that could be a deal breaker for you!)

...and so on and so forth.

Remember also you don't need to make a decision imminently - you should have until at least June to decide :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Ultimately it's up to you - nobody can make the decision for you!

Some things to consider:

what you want to do after you graduate (if you want to go into investment banking or management consulting it makes a difference which of the two you go to; for most other things, not so much), cost of living (both are expensive cities - if you already live in London though and can commute from home there that might save you money, but bear in mind you'd have a reduced maintenance loan then and it might have effects on your social life)

academic opportunities/quality at the uni (probably similar on the whole but I get the impression Bristol is generally considered slightly better, but I think the difference between Bristol and UCL is smaller than say, Warwick and Bristol)

facilities/accommodation/etc options at each (if you can't live without the uni having X sports team or something to play on, that could be a deal breaker for you!)

...and so on and so forth.

Remember also you don't need to make a decision imminently - you should have until at least June to decide :smile:

Thank you so much for the advise. I wanna go into quant finance ( very competitive and a mathsy kind of finance) which is heavily reliant on COWI so i see myself going to one of those for a masters after my time at ucl/bristol
(edited 1 year ago)
what were you predicted
Original post by BrunkFridge
what were you predicted

4 a*s. Im referring to after my bachelors, i wanna do a masters in COWI

Quick Reply

Latest