The Student Room Group

Physics without Further Mathematics

My School Does not offer Further Mathematics, I will be applying to Imperial, UCL, Kings, St Andrews and Warwick for Physics. Is there any chance of me being accepted into these Unis?
I currently have Physics, Chemistry and Maths as my A levels
Please be blunt
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Random-Throwaway
My School Does not offer Further Mathematics, I will be applying to Imperial, UCL, Kings, St Andrews and Warwick for Physics. Is there any chance of me being accepted into these Unis?
I currently have Physics, Chemistry and Maths as my A levels
Please be blunt

Universities which state a preference for Further Mathematics know that not all schools / colleges offer it.

What are your predicted grades? Do they meet (or exceed) the entry requirements? If so then yes, you certainly have a chance of being offered a place at one or more of these unis.
Original post by DataVenia
Universities which state a preference for Further Mathematics know that not all schools / colleges offer it.

What are your predicted grades? Do they meet (or exceed) the entry requirements? If so then yes, you certainly have a chance of being offered a place at one or more of these unis.

I will most probably be predicted A*A*A. They meet most entry requirements but I was just worried because I have read that without Further Maths there would be no chance of me being offered a place. I already take the highest maths course (A level maths) offered at my school. I will also probably take the AP Calculus BC exam but I am not sure whether Unis in the UK will care about that.
Original post by Random-Throwaway
I will most probably be predicted A*A*A. They meet most entry requirements but I was just worried because I have read that without Further Maths there would be no chance of me being offered a place. I already take the highest maths course (A level maths) offered at my school. I will also probably take the AP Calculus BC exam but I am not sure whether Unis in the UK will care about that.

Well, I've read an awful lot of nonsense about what subjects candidates must and must not have. And that's often what it is - nonsense. I would strongly encourage you to trust what the universities themselves say in terms of subject requirements and preferences.

Imperial: "A* in Mathematics | A*/A in Physics | A in another subject (Further Mathematics is recommended, but not essential)"

UCL: "A*A in Mathematics and Physics required (in any order)."

King's: "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in Mathematics and Physics"

St Andrews: "AAA, including A in both: Mathematics and Physics"

Warwick: "A*AA to include A in Mathematics (or Further Mathematics) and Physics"

So it's only two of your target unis which even mention Further Maths.

Universities don't have secret entry requirements. What would be the point? If they would only accept candidates with Further Maths then they'd say that, and avoid the extra workload of having to filter them out.

However, if you're concerned, ask your school to mention that Further Maths was not available in their reference: "Egor is an excellent mathematician and would have excelled in Further Mathematics; unfortunately, it is not available at our school." :smile:

Well, I've read an awful lot of nonsense about what subjects candidates must and must not have. And that's often what it is - nonsense. I would strongly encourage you to trust what the universities themselves say in terms of subject requirements and preferences.

Imperial: "A* in Mathematics | A*/A in Physics | A in another subject (Further Mathematics is recommended, but not essential)"

UCL: "A*A in Mathematics and Physics required (in any order)."

King's: "A-level (or equivalent) grade A in Mathematics and Physics"

St Andrews: "AAA, including A in both: Mathematics and Physics"

Warwick: "A*AA to include A in Mathematics (or Further Mathematics) and Physics"

So it's only two of your target unis which even mention Further Maths.

Universities don't have secret entry requirements. What would be the point? If they would only accept candidates with Further Maths then they'd say that, and avoid the extra workload of having to filter them out.

However, if you're concerned, ask your school to mention that Further Maths was not available in their reference: "Egor is an excellent mathematician and would have excelled in Further Mathematics; unfortunately, it is not available at our school." :smile:

Thank you, I appreciate it !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending