The Student Room Group

Which Uni should I give a try to

Hi, I really want to get into a good University and i do know that currently i really want to get into UCL. I want to do Economics at uni and I want to know which ones I should give a try to.

I got 2A* (Maths and English Lang) 2A’s (Chem and Physics) and 5 B’s in the rest at iGCSE. I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A Level, doing the Edexcel A course.

The options of universities I have right now are UCL, LSE, KCL, Lancaster, Bristol and Warwick. (Top choice being UCL)

Can I have advice on whether I can try getting into these universities or if there are other unis i can look at.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by astudenthaha
Hi, I really want to get into a good University and i do know that currently i really want to get into UCL. I want to do Economics at uni and I want to know which ones I should give a try to.

I got 2A* (Maths and English Lang) 2A’s (Chem and Physics) and 5 B’s in the rest at iGCSE. I am currently doing Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A Level, doing the Edexcel A course.

The options of universities I have right now are UCL, LSE, KCL, Lancaster, Bristol and Warwick. (Top choice being UCL)

Can I have advice on whether I can try getting into these universities or if there are other unis i can look at.

What are your predicted grades in each of those A level subjects? (That will have a significant impact on your likelihood of an offer at each of these universities.)

Does your school / college offer Further Mathematics (LSE are very keen on it for Economics and the only real excuse for not having it at A level - as far as they're concerned - is that your school / college don't offer it.)
Original post by username6669245

Hi there,

At Lancaster the current grade requirements are AAB for a bachelors in economics with at least a B in A-Level Mathematics. There is also a variety of other degrees that may interest you such as economics and mathematics, economics with a year abroad, economics with a year in industry. I would definitely encourage you to apply to Lancaster.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Amy (Lancaster University Ambassador) 🙂
Original post by DataVenia
What are your predicted grades in each of those A level subjects? (That will have a significant impact on your likelihood of an offer at each of these universities.)

Does your school / college offer Further Mathematics (LSE are very keen on it for Economics and the only real excuse for not having it at A level - as far as they're concerned - is that your school / college don't offer it.)

Hi, this is the same person but a different account,
In Maths I am predicted a A*, Economics A and Chemistry A. My school does offer FM but I wasnt able to do it for some reason.
Do I still have a chance at UCL???
My dad has been asking me to apply to Oxbridge but I know I may not be able to get in due to my GCSEs. I wanted to do Economics at Oxford but I also looked at PPE. Do I have a chance or should i not waste my options
Original post by username6721115
Hi, this is the same person but a different account,
In Maths I am predicted a A*, Economics A and Chemistry A. My school does offer FM but I wasnt able to do it for some reason.
Do I still have a chance at UCL???
My dad has been asking me to apply to Oxbridge but I know I may not be able to get in due to my GCSEs. I wanted to do Economics at Oxford but I also looked at PPE. Do I have a chance or should i not waste my options

You say, "My school does offer FM but I wasnt able to do it for some reason." Universities which prefer students to have done Further Maths will want your referee to provide an actual reason. Otherwise they'll just assume that you or your school didn't think we're were sufficiently good at Maths to manage it. (In spite of the A* at GCSE and predicted at A level.)

LSE (which you mentioned earlier) say here that, "We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this. Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes."

UCL make no mention of Further Maths. They merely here say that they want "A*AA" and that "Mathematics grade A* required, plus if Economics is offered it must be grade A." So you're good there.

Oxford pay more attention to GCSEs that do Cambridge, which you might want to factor into your decision-making. If you (not you dad) want to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge, then you absolutely should. GCSEs are only one piece of the jigsaw (along with predicted grades, your personal statement, your reference, entrance tests, and the interview) - and you're GCSEs are fine.

By the way, you haven't specifically said, but I assume you're in Year 12 right now. If you're in Year 13 then you're too late to apply for either Oxford or Cambridge this year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest