The Student Room Group

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO

Just been reading the F1 thread- a sport that does nothing for me what so ever- what is the point of driving round and round and round a track for ages, it's fun when they crash tho.

I'm actually a huge fan of rugby union. my bf thinks it's just co i like seeing so many men running around in little shorts getting muddy *drools* but that is not the only reason, i do think it is a really exciting sport especially if conditions are bad or it's a very fast game (+ the atmosphere is brilliant at matches). a far as i'm concerned it's a better version of football (which i can take or leave).

There's also golf on telly at the mo + that just seems completely pointless- i liked it when the open was at Royal Birkdale (5 minutes walk from my house) but i really couldn't care who won.

anyway i will stop rambling, just let me know what you think.

lou xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate golf, love motorsports + tennis, don't mind cycling (tour de france only), snooker (world championships or trick shot only), football (world cup), rugby (if bored), etc. Also hate curling, which is just pointless.

Phil
Reply 2
Meant to add, like baseball and basketball, as well as ice hockey when they're on, but not a major fan.

Phil
Driving round and round and round. So you've never watched a F1 race then? Theres an art to correct an oversteer at 150mph, to overtake at 120 round the outside on the dirty part of the track, to pit stop before you approach backmarkers, to travel around a narrow street circuit averaging above 100mph when a normal car would average about 30mph. And its not fun when the cars crash, I watched Ayrton Senna and roland ratzenberger die in there cars, I didn't find that funny, neither should anyone else.
Reply 4
It's true that to most sports (including motorsports) there is always tactics, and I'm sure that what Lou meant wasn't that she liked it when people died/where injured.
Phil
Reply 5
Originally posted by Sir I. Newton
Driving round and round and round. So you've never watched a F1 race then? Theres an art to correct an oversteer at 150mph, to overtake at 120 round the outside on the dirty part of the track, to pit stop before you approach backmarkers, to travel around a narrow street circuit averaging above 100mph when a normal car would average about 30mph. And its not fun when the cars crash, I watched Ayrton Senna and roland ratzenberger die in there cars, I didn't find that funny, neither should anyone else.

of course i don't find it funny when soemone dies, or is even injured slightly but, 9 times out of 10 in F1 they aren't and just spin off or whatever which i do find kinda exciting because it can change the entire race.

i realise that some people do find it exciting (both my brothers do), and i do appreciate it takes a lot of skill to go at those speeds and you have to be very physically fit blah blah blah....it just doesn't do anything for me.
You could argue that any sport is pointless.
Reply 7
but that would be pointelss in this thread! personally i enjoy f1, football, rugby union. thats about it. my fav has to be f1 though, what race today!
Reply 8
Basketball here, don't like others, lol.
Reply 9
Ollie, you're right about that, it was an amazing race, and yet there they are threatening to drop it from next years schedule. di you watch the whole thing?
I was well impressed with button, started 20th, finnished 8th!

Phil
Well I voted Football, I don't isolate other sports.

However, I dislike the Barclaycard Premiership - I would rather watch players who have to earn their living, rather than those who could pack up after a match in the Prem (assuming they wouldn't live the lifestyle).

From the others Rugby Union, Rugby League (mainly for the tension of the Video Referee), Motorsports, I follow, but I'm less knowledgable in who the players are.

Basketball has been a passion with me as I have had an administrative role in a basketball club (Mansfield Express), since I was 13 years old, by far the youngest person on the Exec Committee ever!). It was a shame to leave the club in that role at the end of the past season. If I come back in an officiating sense then fair enough, but I anticipate I will become a major part of the new National League setup at University of Sheffield Arrows, should I get up there in September.
Reply 11
I used to love basketball, adn always dreamt of going to see the Bulls.

Phil
Reply 12
For me, football wins hands down (and I'm a girl). I enjoy watching it and playing it. Nothing beats it for passion, excitement and drama. However, that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy other sports. In fact I like watching cricket, F1, tennis and athletics. Does anyone out there play table tennis? I love the sport, even though I prefer football. I've been playing since I was 9. However, table tennis is a sport which is barely ever on terrestrial tv.
Reply 13
I love swimming - I am a member of my local swimming club and although I won't make it further than counties, its such an exciting sport to be involved in. The whole atmosphere at a swimming gala is fantastic (mainly low level ones are best) and even watching top swimmers on TV is really entertaining as the races are quick and its impossible to get bored.
Since sport is indeed pointless no argument is needed.
Reply 15
Badminton

John
u shud all sail. is v. cool. ur all not as kool as me. sail.
badminton
Reply 18
Xenon
Does anyone out there play table tennis? I love the sport, . I've been playing since I was 9. However, table tennis is a sport which is barely ever on terrestrial tv.

yes i do, i used to play at a club and entered tournaments etc. stopped going now due to eductaion/work commitments. they sometimes put it on tv, i watched some world champoinship games a while back,
Reply 19
Running after the ice cream van :smile:

I also like playing badminton although watching it is ...zzzzzzzzzz

Latest