The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
n7studios, you quite clear know a great deal about Radcliffe's career and form in races prior to the last two weeks. Can you explain why she hasn't "bailed" in previous races when she hasn't had a chance of taking a medal?

We're talking about a truly great athlete here, she's proved it time and time again over the last few years. Something is obviously affecting her race, be it injury, fitness or the Athens atmosphere (seeing as she's an asmatic) This is the Olympic games we're talking about, the pinnicle of any athlete's career and this was her last shot of adding the one thing missing from her collection, an olympic gold. Surely sitting out and going home is much more cowardly than giving it one last go even though something is holding you back.
luce20
Can I ask how many of you have actually ran as far as she had to and to endure the heat as well??!!!???. Perhaps if you did, you would be less judgemental to her. Yes I know the other two britons finished- credit to them where its due, but don't come out with all this crap of her being selfish etc. I know also she was hoping for gold and so was everyone else but perhaps her body wouldn't let her finish it. I dread to think how much training is required for a race like that and to actually run for a couple of miles let alone to how many miles they did( I can't remember) will takes it toll on the body esp in the heat! I think she did her best and this will be something that she will always regret but credit to her for actually running the race- whether she finished it or not.

Nonsense! There is no such thing as can't, only won't. Whenever i run, i just don't stop till i do what i've set out to do, because it's the mental strength that is important here. Her body would have taken her to the end, she just wasn't willing to run the distance. I don't think she did her best at all, she has realy impressed me in the past, but this time she did show lack of guts. It wasn't so important to me that she win, but it was damn important to me that she went and got stuck into some 10K and gave it everything and finished, she is a top level athlete the least she could have done was finish the race, but she wouldn't, because she wasn't mentally strong enough to drag herself along, and there is no excuse for that!
As for the other guy saying she has nothing to prove to anybody, i beg to differ! This is the olypic games here, she should have shown proper gamesmanship, not just dropping out when the old lactic acid built up! Just because she won medals before doesn't mean she can start wimping out now does it! The race wasn't only about her, she was OUR representative out there and showed a total lack of guts. As i've said before, she is a role model for many people especially school girls, and now she is sending the message that it's ok to just give up and drop out and not finish things you started. This is disgusting and such a message can only serve to turn our young folk into even fatter more unfit unmotivated losers than too many of them already are. She has let down everybody because she is mentally weak when the chips are down.
Reply 4362
The Triathlon was a fine performance, and you could see it meant a great deal to him but it's not a physical defect we're talking about here, as is the case with Radcliffe, neither is the Hockey (I'm not quite sure why you bothered to mention that, perhaps you were running out of examples, I dunno).

Darren Campbell is a good athlete, and I expect he's suffering from injury going off his form during the past four years. You must consider though, if he was actually injured to the extent he couldn't run, one of the backup guys would have been included in his place. There shouldn't be any place for sentiment when picking a relay team in the Olympics.
mockel
that is her normal race though, ie. staying at the front....i still think she would have been unable to finish even if she had run a similar race to the other briton- remember, she still had 8 laps left

yeah but i dont think she is in the condition that she would normally be in when she runs that race

its funny how everyone is suddenly an expert on distance running and is so keen to dismiss her efforts
[its funny how everyone is suddenly an expert on distance running and is so keen to dismiss her efforts

What efforts? She gave up because it was too hard. Winners are not the people who never take a hit, winners are those hard bastards who take a hit and get up again, and again and no matter what people throw at them they keep getting up and slogging. This is the ideal i try to live up to above all else in my fitness work, and i beleive it very important to see in others. Unfortunately, despite all her hard work, Paula took a hit on the day, fell down and never got up again, as i've said before, truly shameful from one of out top athletes.
Reply 4365
Is it still truly shameful if she's not fit and something is affecting her performance yet she still gave it a shot because at the next Olympics she'll be 35 and her chance of a gold medal will have gone?
But don't you see, this wasn't a proper shot. She tried to catch up with the lead group well done, but she couldn't keep up with them which u can't critisise for as she simply wasn't fast enough. What is shameful is that after that she simply gave up. This isn't about CAN'T, as i've said, no matter how much pain she was in she could and should have carried on until the end battling on trying her best, even if she was crawling over the finish line. That is determination, that is sportsmanship and guts. She simply let the pain get to her, and was oly thinknig of herself and in the end she WOULDN'T finish the race. she chose to stop and give up and be a loser.
Reply 4367
Im sorry but how the hell would you know that she could finish the whole race? Were you actually there in her body? For all you know she could have mentally and physically exhausted!! I know how painful running can be on the body. I've been doing it since year 7and I left yr 13 two yrs ago so you do the maths. There are days when I can't carry on running due to exhaustion and Ive been doing it a long time. Like I said you put yourself in her place, in that heat and run for that long coz I sure as hell know you haven't run that far or trained to run that far- most ppl wouldn't for starters not unless they are doing for a race etc. By not finishing the race, she not saying to kids ' hey no need to run, sit on your fat ass all day'. Shes not running the race to say to kids that they should run- thats down to the parents not her, so god knows why you brought that up. I think the majority of ppl are not thinking that they should quit at all if they don't win, its only the small minded ppl like you joseph that have no idea of the pain she has endured during training for this race, that think she is selfish for not carrying on. I sure as hell felt inspired by her running the race- it takes guts and determination, most ppl wouldn't even manage a few miles. You know, so what, she didn't finish, but at least she tried. She didn't have to either.
n7studios
I agree, Paula was probably injured this time - that is, her pride is probably wounded - or what's left of it.

Personally, I am disgusted. I agree with what people have said here; the other Brit managed to finish the race, and the same with the Brit who had a problem with his bike in the triathlon. He may have finished last, but hell, he made a sodding effort. Even the GB hockey team, who had their worst results in around 4 decades, still bothered to play to come 9th.

Clearly, Paula lacks good sportsmanship. Her competitors would not give up just because she was winning. They would race until the end, because they know what good sportsmanship is. Paula is just a selfish, spoilt "athlete" (I use the term loosely) who gives up when she isn't winning, or has some stiff competition.

I'd much rather give a medal to the guy in the triathlon who ran 2km with his broken bike and battled to the end, than someone i.e. Paula who assumes she should win by right, rather than by merit.

Tim.

personally im disgusted with unsporting forum geeks trying to analyse the olympics.

yeah ud much rather give a medal to the last place finsiher wouldnt u. who cares if the triathlete finished the race when he didnt come anywahere. so what if he got a cheer at the end. sport is about winning and actually achieving and im sure the last placed triathlete would much rather be in paula radcliffes position.

shes won the world half marathon championships, world cross country championships, 3 top city marathons, marathon world record, world records for various other roads distances, european track champs and commonwealth track champs so if ur calling her an "athlete" as u say then ur the national disgrace here.

who really cares about the hockey team finishing last. oh yeah theyll really be remembered for their corauge. radcliffe is one of the most sucessful european distance runners ever and she missed the world champs last year due to injusry when she was at her peak with her best chance yet.

its hard to know why she quit as shes such a great runner but ur not one to question her as shes still ahcieved loads without quitting and will be remembered as a great. if u actually watch the olympics then u'll c that loads of athletes have quit in all sports and even some b4 radcliffe in 2days 10,ooo m but bcos shes with this crap media and nation of people who prefer sportsmanlike faliures like henman to sucesses like the arrogant US for example then they will vilify her geekishly.
goldenbarnes
Well America have just buggered it up in the women's :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Can you believe it? I think they were already assuming they'd win hands down (did you see them in the previous round?), and were really just focusing on breaking the world record! It just goes to show you never know what could happen.
Reply 4370
ok then, I can see it's a little tricky getting into that macho head of yours. I'm sure when you're pumping iron in preparation for your next "big event" you're nothing short of Rocky Balbao, parts I, II, III, IV & V. Go easy on those carcass.
Invisible
Paula Radcliffe is a disgrace both to the Olympic Games and Athletics. A complete loser.

u r a complete and utter shambles whoever u r.

with 10,000 posts ur a disgrace to ur country and to humanity in general.
Prologue
personally im disgusted with unsporting forum geeks trying to analyse the olympics.

yeah ud much rather give a medal to the last place finsiher wouldnt u. who cares if the triathlete finished the race when he didnt come anywahere. so what if he got a cheer at the end. sport is about winning and actually achieving and im sure the last placed triathlete would much rather be in paula radcliffes position.

shes won the world half marathon championships, world cross country championships, 3 top city marathons, marathon world record, world records for various other roads distances, european track champs and commonwealth track champs so if ur calling her an "athlete" as u say then ur the national disgrace here.

who really cares about the hockey team finishing last. oh yeah theyll really be remembered for their corauge. radcliffe is one of the most sucessful european distance runners ever and she missed the world champs last year due to injusry when she was at her peak with her best chance yet.

its hard to know why she quit as shes such a great runner but ur not one to question her as shes still ahcieved loads without quitting and will be remembered as a great. if u actually watch the olympics then u'll c that loads of athletes have quit in all sports and even some b4 radcliffe in 2days 10,ooo m but bcos shes with this crap media and nation of people who prefer sportsmanlike faliures like henman to sucesses like the arrogant US for example then they will vilify her geekishly.

I couldnt agree more, she gave has given more than her share of service to this country sporting wise and is one of our greats in terms of women's long distance runners. to call someone like paula a disgrace is a disgusting
I know she could have finished the race for a fact. The human body is capable of incredible feats of endurace. all she had to do was hang in there and she could have made the distance especially at her fitness level. all that is required is guts which she should not be lacking at her level. As i keep saying over and over. It isn't she COULDN'T finish the race because as painful and hellish as it would have been, she was well capable of finishing the race, she just WOULDN'T.
Stan G
ok then, I can see it's a little tricky getting into that macho head of yours. I'm sure when you're pumping iron in preparation for your next "big event" you're nothing short of Rocky Balbao, parts I, II, III, IV & V. Go easy on those carcass.

are you going to answer any of the points or jsut resort to personnal insults
Stan G

Yeah that's clever isn't it.
Joseph_SOUTH
I know she could have finished the race for a fact. The human body is capable of incredible feats of endurace. all she had to do was hang in there and she could have made the distance especially at her fitness level. all that is required is guts which she should not be lacking at her level. As i keep saying over and over. It isn't she COULDN'T finish the race because as painful and hellish as it would have been, she was well capable of finishing the race, she just WOULDN'T.

oh please you think she didnt want to? I can tell you have never run more than a mile
Reply 4377
Incomplete
are you going to answer any of the points or jsut resort to personnal insults

Line the points up and if I haven't already answered them I will.
Stan G
Line the points up and if I haven't already answered them I will.

why dont you read his/her post and answer them from that :rolleyes:
When i say she wouldn't i don't mean she wouldn't in the normal sense, i mean that she gave up, what most people would class as couldn't because they have not developed the mental robustness of a top athlete is classed as wouldn't be athletes. If u catch my drift?

Latest