The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Computing Interview

I'm really stressed about Imperial. I applied before oxbridge deadline and did my admissions test around then too. I haven't gotten an interview yet and heard there was a couple more in mid-March. Anyone knows if they are still giving out interview invites??
Iam in similar situation now, did you get an interview
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm really stressed about Imperial. I applied before oxbridge deadline and did my admissions test around then too. I haven't gotten an interview yet and heard there was a couple more in mid-March. Anyone knows if they are still giving out interview invites??

Most likely, your application has been put on hold. With regards to the admissions timeline, I am pretty much in the same boat as you, albeit I have completed everything that I can for now for my Imperial application, just waiting on my decision now.

I applied on the 27th of September (I applied to Cambridge so had to get my application off before 16th October. Also applied to Durham, Edinburgh and Manchester), did my admissions test for Imperial on 12/10 and had my interview on 29/11. There is one more interview day for 2023 on 13th (or 14th) of December and after that, all interviews will be conducted in the new year. If you haven't heard back re interviews, I don't think you will get it in 2023 and most likely will pass on to the new year.

Don't get too stressed because if you get rejected (not that I am saying you will), all that anticipation was for nothing. You will feel disheartened and lose the will to do any work (speaking from experience after my Cambridge rejection). You will think that you put in all of that hard work in vain and that you will get nothing from it. I know you are worried and I was too for my Cambridge decision but trust me, worrying will only make the rejection worse if that is the case. You will not realise that you are applying to one of the most competitive courses in the country and that rejection is a possibility if you worry - it will impact you negatively and you will lose the will to do any work. You may already be behind on work and the thought of being rejected from your "dream university" will only make you get further behind (again, speaking from experience).

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things did you have on your application (super curricular stuff etc.)? Do you have anything that you think will be of interest to the admissions tutors and perhaps make you stand out from the competitive crowd?

What are your grades like GCSEs and A levels-wise?
I have 8 9s and 1 8 I have 4 A* predicted chemistry physics maths and further maths. I think I flunked the admission test it is what it is. Thank you for your advice
Original post by Imperiapplicant
I have 8 9s and 1 8 I have 4 A* predicted chemistry physics maths and further maths. I think I flunked the admission test it is what it is. Thank you for your advice

It happens but I sort of shot myself in the foot with TMUA for Cambridge so I feel your pain. I was scoring like 7.5 in practice (which is deep in offer territory) and then scored 4.5 in the actual thing. The paper wasn't hard. There were 7 other admissions tests taking place in the same room and they presented the end timings in a tabular format. I read the wrong row and so saw the wrong finishing time. When I finished all of the 20 questions in my question paper, I saw that I had 15 minutes left and that I should start shading in the lozenges on my answer sheet. I got through maybe half of the answer sheet for the first paper at which point I got told to put my pencil down (Paper 1 is normally the one that brings my mark up as well, which was extremely annoying). My mind wasn't in the right mindset for paper 2 and I sat there for 20 minutes contemplating whether there was any point in me even doing this paper, which ate at my time. Note that you only have 3 minutes 45 seconds for each question. I finished the paper on time this time and I basically had a breakdown afterwards. I knew the rejection was coming but nevertheless, I was hopeful and when the rejection came, it destroyed me. I did no work for 2 weeks straight!

Also, you said that you flunked the admissions test. The test isn't really designed to test merit otherwise they would have given you material to prepare for said test. The test tests whether you would be a good fit for Imperial. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be and you might even prosper better in an environment that suits you better. I'm sorry that the test wasn't to be. Nevertheless, you could still get a chance to prove yourself at interview. You never know.

Personally, I found the questions I got were straightforward but the test in itself was quite tight for time. Because it was the actual thing, I was jittery and checked every single one of those questions like 5 times before moving onto the next one. If it was a matter of timing, I'm extremely sorry for you but if it was a matter of difficulty, perhaps it just wasn't your day. Your academic credentials show that you work hard and have a reasonable, if not good, grasp of material.

Good luck with your result! Wish me luck for my decision! Should be coming in Jan but who knows?

Where else have you applied?
I applied Cambridge UCL and Kings and Bath. Best of luck for imperial. You should get an offer, I read somewhere 90% of interviewees get an offer.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Also, you said that you flunked the admissions test. The test isn't really designed to test merit otherwise they would have given you material to prepare for said test. The test tests whether you would be a good fit for Imperial. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be and you might even prosper better in an environment that suits you better. I'm sorry that the test wasn't to be. Nevertheless, you could still get a chance to prove yourself at interview. You never know.

Personally, I found the questions I got were straightforward but the test in itself was quite tight for time. Because it was the actual thing, I was jittery and checked every single one of those questions like 5 times before moving onto the next one. If it was a matter of timing, I'm extremely sorry for you but if it was a matter of difficulty, perhaps it just wasn't your day. Your academic credentials show that you work hard and have a reasonable, if not good, grasp of material.

Good luck with your result! Wish me luck for my decision! Should be coming in Jan but who knows?

Where else have you applied?

I have to say your grammar and vocabulary is very goood
I applied Cambridge UCL and Kings and Bath. Best of luck for imperial. You should get an offer, I read somewhere 90% of interviewees get an offer.

Did you get your Cambridge interview? What college did you apply to? That news is reassuring. I just hope I'm not in that 10% of applicants that get rejections. If I don't hear back in the next four days (which I probably won't considering that a person who applied for JMC and completed their interview on 8th of November only heard back yesterday), I will hear by the 20th of January. I know this because as part of the keynote session, one of the professors mentioned that it will take roughly a month to hear back. I'm currently trying to ace the STEP to the best of my abilities because that is one bit of advice I was given by some of the students while I was in London.

You are probably aware of this but Bath changed their entry requirements from 3 As to 2 A*s and an A. I know it doesn't impact you but it suggests that there is extremely stiff competition so I wish you all the very best, not just for Bath but for all of your options.

You probably haven't, because those universities tend to take their time with sending out offers, but have you heard back from anyone?

Good luck for your Imperial result in particular but for all of your decisions as well! I hope you get what you want!

Thank you for this compliment but I don't think that it's anything special. 🙂

I got my offer yesterday!!
Original post by Anonymous #2
I got my offer yesterday!!

Nice that’s good to hear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending