The Student Room Group

Alevel business questions structure help

Hi everyone,

I am in year 12 and have just got into my Alevels, one of which is business. I have the knowledge for all my tests but always lose marks on answering the question. Is there anyway anyone could help me with ways to stick to what the questions asking and also if possible give me any structures (maybe even including some sentence starter, how many paragraphs to write, and what to write in each paragraph, or if there’s a specific format to follow) for questions like 5 markers, 9 markers and 16 markers. I do AQA business so this may change the way it is answered from other exam boards.

Thanks for any help!
Emily :smile:
Original post by Emily:)1
Hi everyone,

I am in year 12 and have just got into my Alevels, one of which is business. I have the knowledge for all my tests but always lose marks on answering the question. Is there anyway anyone could help me with ways to stick to what the questions asking and also if possible give me any structures (maybe even including some sentence starter, how many paragraphs to write, and what to write in each paragraph, or if there’s a specific format to follow) for questions like 5 markers, 9 markers and 16 markers. I do AQA business so this may change the way it is answered from other exam boards.

Thanks for any help!
Emily :smile:

Hi Emily,

Congratulations on starting your A-levels! Answering exam questions effectively can be challenging, but with practice and the right strategies, you can improve your performance.

Here are some tips for answering business exam questions:

Read the question carefully: Make sure you understand what the question is asking. Read the question twice if necessary and underline the key terms.

Plan your answer: Before you start writing, take a few minutes to plan your response. Jot down your key ideas and the structure of your answer.

Stick to the point: Make sure your answer addresses the question that has been asked. Avoid going off-topic or providing irrelevant information.

Use relevant examples: Use relevant examples from the business world to support your arguments. This can help to illustrate your understanding of the topic and make your answer more persuasive.

Use appropriate business terminology: Use appropriate business terminology to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the subject.

For the different types of questions, here are some general structures and sentence starters:

5-marker questions:

Introduction: State the key concept or term and define it.
Example: Give an example to illustrate the concept.
Conclusion: Summarize your answer and make a clear point.

Sentence starters:

The key concept/term in this question is...
For example,...
In conclusion,...
9-marker questions:

Introduction: Briefly introduce the topic and state the argument.
Point 1: Make your first point and explain it with evidence and examples.
Point 2: Make your second point and explain it with evidence and examples.
Counter-argument: Acknowledge a different viewpoint and explain why your argument is stronger.

Sentence starters:

This question is asking me to discuss...
Firstly, I would like to point out that...
Secondly, it is important to note that...
However, some people may argue that...
Despite this, I believe that...
In conclusion,...

16-marker questions:

Point 3: Make your third point and explain it with evidence and examples.
Counter-argument: Acknowledge a different viewpoint and explain why your argument is stronger.

Sentence starters:

This question is asking me to evaluate...
Firstly, it is important to note that...
Secondly, it is clear that...
Another important point to consider is...
In conclusion,...

Remember to always check your answer before submitting and make sure it addresses the question asked. Good luck with your studies!
Reply 2
Original post by Curious_Bilawi
Hi Emily,

Congratulations on starting your A-levels! Answering exam questions effectively can be challenging, but with practice and the right strategies, you can improve your performance.

Here are some tips for answering business exam questions:

Read the question carefully: Make sure you understand what the question is asking. Read the question twice if necessary and underline the key terms.

Plan your answer: Before you start writing, take a few minutes to plan your response. Jot down your key ideas and the structure of your answer.

Stick to the point: Make sure your answer addresses the question that has been asked. Avoid going off-topic or providing irrelevant information.

Use relevant examples: Use relevant examples from the business world to support your arguments. This can help to illustrate your understanding of the topic and make your answer more persuasive.

Use appropriate business terminology: Use appropriate business terminology to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the subject.

For the different types of questions, here are some general structures and sentence starters:

5-marker questions:

Introduction: State the key concept or term and define it.
Example: Give an example to illustrate the concept.

Sentence starters:

The key concept/term in this question is...
For example,...
In conclusion,...
9-marker questions:

Sentence starters:

This question is asking me to discuss...
Firstly, I would like to point out that...
Secondly, it is important to note that...
In conclusion,...

16-marker questions:

Point 3: Make your third point and explain it with evidence and examples.

Sentence starters:

This question is asking me to evaluate...
Firstly, it is important to note that...
Secondly, it is clear that...
Another important point to consider is...
In conclusion,...

Remember to always check your answer before submitting and make sure it addresses the question asked. Good luck with your studies!

thanks so much!! this is very helpful :smile:
Original post by Emily:)1
thanks so much!! this is very helpful :smile:
Hi, has this worked for you since it was recommended to you or have you used another method? im having the same issue & my exams are in a few weeks... :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending