The Student Room Group

Air League Scholarships

Hello aviators this is your captain speaking!
Has anyone completed any flying scholarships through the Air League? I applied to a gliding one last year and did not get it, but this year I am planning on applying to the 5 day flying scholarship which will also be my residential for Gold Dofe. If anyone has applied successfully what was the scholarship like and how did you get the most out of it?
Many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by spitfire308
Hello aviators this is your captain speaking!
Has anyone completed any flying scholarships through the Air League? I applied to a gliding one last year and did not get it, but this year I am planning on applying to the 5 day flying scholarship which will also be my residential for Gold Dofe. If anyone has applied successfully what was the scholarship like and how did you get the most out of it?
Many thanks!

Hi! I’m planning to apply soon, for the gliding one did u manage to get an interview? Do u possibly know if the scholarship interview will have an aptitude test?
Just wondering how everyone got on and if they were successful? I'm looking to apply in 2024
Last year I was successfully awarded a 5 hour powered flying scholarship, prior to applying I had no aviation experience except being an Air Cadet and some gliding induction flights through them. There was no aptitude test, the application consisted of a form and then an interview that was either online or in person. If anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to answer.
Original post by sophiegaurdner4
Last year I was successfully awarded a 5 hour powered flying scholarship, prior to applying I had no aviation experience except being an Air Cadet and some gliding induction flights through them. There was no aptitude test, the application consisted of a form and then an interview that was either online or in person. If anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to answer.

What was the interview like and what kind of questions did they ask you
Original post by danabaldean
What was the interview like and what kind of questions did they ask you

Last year the interviews were relaxed, it was like a formal interview with two people however they were very nice and encouraging with questions. Questions were what you would expect, things that you wrote on your application, and some elaboration and a couple of questions about the industry.
Last year the interviews were relaxed, it was like a formal interview with two people however they were very nice and encouraging with questions. Questions were what you would expect, things that you wrote on your application, and some elaboration and a couple of questions about the industry.

Hey sophie, for the interview could you recall any questions that were asked about aviation knowledge? If not do you remember if they were basic questions or difficult ones?
Original post by ciarancarrington
Hey sophie, for the interview could you recall any questions that were asked about aviation knowledge? If not do you remember if they were basic questions or difficult ones?

They were mostly about what you wanted to do, rather than aviation knowledge so make sure you can say why they should invest in you rather than someone else!
They were mostly about what you wanted to do, rather than aviation knowledge so make sure you can say why they should invest in you rather than someone else!

Thanks for your reply soph, I’ll keep that in mind for my interview:smile:
I’m confident with the general questions like “tell us about yourself” “why do you deserve the scholarship” “why us” etc,
I was just curious to whether the aviation knowledge was the basic physics of flying or principals of airmanship etc.

Anyways, thank you for responding, I’ll keep this in mind:smile:
Thanks for your reply soph, I’ll keep that in mind for my interview:smile:
I’m confident with the general questions like “tell us about yourself” “why do you deserve the scholarship” “why us” etc,
I was just curious to whether the aviation knowledge was the basic physics of flying or principals of airmanship etc.
Anyways, thank you for responding, I’ll keep this in mind:smile:

From last year I’m aware mine didn’t have any, however may have changed or be different if you have more experience (I basically had none)
From last year I’m aware mine didn’t have any, however may have changed or be different if you have more experience (I basically had none)

Did you choose the 5 hour one or did they appoint you to one based off your performance/application?
Did you choose the 5 hour one or did they appoint you to one based off your performance/application?
They choose which scholarship fits you best, if any
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone has heard back from the 2024 Air League Flying scholarship? I swear i'm not impatient, it's just I've never applied before and I know they said they'd let us know in early April, but I was just wondering whether if i'm unsuccessful, will I hear back or will I just assume that if I don't hear, I've been unsuccessful? Thank you!!!
😀
Original post by bethanysmith01
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone has heard back from the 2024 Air League Flying scholarship? I swear i'm not impatient, it's just I've never applied before and I know they said they'd let us know in early April, but I was just wondering whether if i'm unsuccessful, will I hear back or will I just assume that if I don't hear, I've been unsuccessful? Thank you!!!
😀

Pretty sure they’ll be back to you by maybe 15th-20th April? They said mid April so that’s my guess:smile:
😀

I received an email confirmation for an interview, these have been sent out I would check your spam inbox
I received an email confirmation for an interview, these have been sent out I would check your spam inbox

ahhh I haven't got anything at all ahahha! When did you recieve this email? Thank you!!!
ahhh I haven't got anything at all ahahha! When did you recieve this email? Thank you!!!

Couple of weeks ago now, not sure if you found out if you didn’t get one
Couple of weeks ago now, not sure if you found out if you didn’t get one

Ah wow that's actually quite long ago now- umm I actually have no idea I'll probably just leave it as I also applied for the gliding scholarship so hoping for some luck on that haha! Thank you!

Hi Sophie,

Did you have to do your class 2 medical before your interview?
Hi Sophie,
Did you have to do your class 2 medical before your interview?

You don’t, you don’t even have to do a medical if not needed for your scholarship

Quick Reply

Latest