The Student Room Group

PhD funding concern

Hello,
I am deciding which courses to apply for in order to make my way to completing a PhD in environmental politics. Recently I completed my BA in History and Political Science and my desire is to hopefully become a lecturer. In terms of applying, this would probably be in the form of a part-time masters as I do not have the finances to go straight through a full time masters. Ideally, I would like to get onto a PhD fully funded through possibly the ESRC or another funding body.

I received a 66 overall in my undergraduate, with a 68 on my dissertation surrounding climate politics, as well as a First in my Environmental Politics module. The reason for the low grades was my health anxiety that emerged throughout the year.

My issue, therefore, is whether taking an MSc or MRes is the best option, or if there is anything else I need to do to boost my chances of being accepted in two years. I have been told different things by different people ranging from needing a Social Research Methods Masters, to it being fine just applying for a basic MSc in Environment, Development and Politics as long as I achieve a First and have research experience under my belt.

Just wanted to gauge some opinions.

Thank you!
Original post by Harold_G
Hello,
I am deciding which courses to apply for in order to make my way to completing a PhD in environmental politics. Recently I completed my BA in History and Political Science and my desire is to hopefully become a lecturer. In terms of applying, this would probably be in the form of a part-time masters as I do not have the finances to go straight through a full time masters. Ideally, I would like to get onto a PhD fully funded through possibly the ESRC or another funding body.

I received a 66 overall in my undergraduate, with a 68 on my dissertation surrounding climate politics, as well as a First in my Environmental Politics module. The reason for the low grades was my health anxiety that emerged throughout the year.

My issue, therefore, is whether taking an MSc or MRes is the best option, or if there is anything else I need to do to boost my chances of being accepted in two years. I have been told different things by different people ranging from needing a Social Research Methods Masters, to it being fine just applying for a basic MSc in Environment, Development and Politics as long as I achieve a First and have research experience under my belt.

Just wanted to gauge some opinions.

Thank you!

Hey @Harold_G

I'm truly amazed at the amount of thought you've put into this, especially at such an early stage. One of the things I would recommend in choosing your MSc is to ensure that you are able to practice your research skills. It will help with the PhD research. Having been through the entire PhD process, your pursuit for the MSc in Environment, Development, and Politics is a great stepping stone for the PhD. Your PhD can be a more detailed research into your MSc dissertation. I did my MSc in Air Transport Management and my PhD research is an extension and more in-depth research into my MSc dissertation. Choosing the MSc in Environment, Development and Politics will also give you the opportunity to learn more theories relating to environmental politics. This will be very helpful.

With regard to funding, I strongly recommend that you research the different universities you are interested in. Some universities do offer fully funded scholarships. Fully funded scholarships are also given through research council grants. So definitely have a look at those. You can find more information about the grants here.

I hope this helps! All the best!

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending