The Student Room Group

Applying for job supporting others with own struggles

Currently I'm in a TA position but that place has now advertised for a pastoral position which I'm interested in but a bit scared to apply because I'm worried they'll say how can i apply for that if i have autism and on meds for anxiety (as and when). I have done lots if 1-2-1 work with challenging behaviour in past with prev jobs, do volunteer counsellor and mentor work so really seems like ideal position. In my prev roles as one to one I've not had a problem at all, been able to communicate effectively etc and personal resilience wise however in this general ta position at this school still same type of school , I'm worried I've got a completely different come across, where i prob come across as a bit quiet (but that's because i struggle with general conversation), some of the children don't seem to follow my instructions but those children will only follow what the teacher says not what TA would say even though obv TAs are still adults that need to be respected. Ivguese also at moment I'm a bit consumed by worries of family etc.. And also the issue where my attendance may be seen as low although it was a pre planned absence prior to starting position.

Should i approach the school saying I'm interested in applying or just leave it. Like i just don't want to be perceived as dumb applying for job.
Why would you be perceived as dumb for applying for a job? If it's something you are genuinely interested in and want to do, there is no harm in applying - if you don't get the job, you will still have your current job, right?

I'm not really sure what being in a pastoral position would involve in a school, but I would imagine it would involve supporting people who may also be struggling with anxiety or autism so I would imagine having had to deal with those issues yourself would be an advantage if anything so don't let those stop you from applying! You would be a great role model as well as a source of support for the kids :smile:
Original post by black tea
Why would you be perceived as dumb for applying for a job? If it's something you are genuinely interested in and want to do, there is no harm in applying - if you don't get the job, you will still have your current job, right?

I'm not really sure what being in a pastoral position would involve in a school, but I would imagine it would involve supporting people who may also be struggling with anxiety or autism so I would imagine having had to deal with those issues yourself would be an advantage if anything so don't let those stop you from applying! You would be a great role model as well as a source of support for the kids :smile:

Thank you.... I guess so yeah I'm just worried because i dont feel as if I've shown my capabilities in the current job i'm in, so they may be like well you've not shown behavior management in their role why do they still not listen to you etc... But actually in NY other roles i have shown behavior management in a positive way.
Original post by unknownforever
Thank you.... I guess so yeah I'm just worried because i dont feel as if I've shown my capabilities in the current job i'm in, so they may be like well you've not shown behavior management in their role why do they still not listen to you etc... But actually in NY other roles i have shown behavior management in a positive way.

But still, what's the worst that can happen? Even if you get rejected, having the experience of doing an interview can be really helpful and you can ask for feedback that you can use to reflect on for the next time you apply for a similar role :smile:
Original post by black tea
But still, what's the worst that can happen? Even if you get rejected, having the experience of doing an interview can be really helpful and you can ask for feedback that you can use to reflect on for the next time you apply for a similar role :smile:

This is an excellent point. The interview will be conducted in a professional manner.
Thankyou for Replies. I had applied it doesn't seem that my application have got any further as not has anything back. A couple of days after i ended up having an episode in front if the head so if anything that would have jeopardised my chances even more.
However in all of this, I'm not disheartened and it is what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending