The Student Room Group

Some questions about failing a master

Hi student room, I have some questions about failing a master.

1. Can I retake the master in someplace else? Let's just say I failed a nursing conversion course "adult nursing" can I do it in another uni start from year one?
2. Can I take another master?
Reply 1
Firstly, how did you fail your masters? A specific module(s), dissertation or another way?

That’s will lead into the responses for your two qs.

Ultimately, you can always apply to do another masters elsewhere or the same course somewhere else. Probably tho (esp. the second option) they’ll ask why you want to do another one if you already failed, and you’ll have to convince them how things will be different now.

If it’s a conversion course, it’s likely they’ll be even harder on you when it comes to reapplying, asking well you already failed once etc…for something like nursing, which is tough at the best of times, failing without any good reason could be considered as you not being up to task for such a stressful role moving forward.

It’s maybe also worth asking what you want the masters for and if you really want or need it, eggiven you already failed it and it’s a big commitment overall.
Reply 2
Original post by souljav
Firstly, how did you fail your masters? A specific module(s), dissertation or another way?

That’s will lead into the responses for your two qs.

Ultimately, you can always apply to do another masters elsewhere or the same course somewhere else. Probably tho (esp. the second option) they’ll ask why you want to do another one if you already failed, and you’ll have to convince them how things will be different now.

If it’s a conversion course, it’s likely they’ll be even harder on you when it comes to reapplying, asking well you already failed once etc…for something like nursing, which is tough at the best of times, failing without any good reason could be considered as you not being up to task for such a stressful role moving forward.

It’s maybe also worth asking what you want the masters for and if you really want or need it, eggiven you already failed it and it’s a big commitment overall.

I have yet to do my master. I have applied to study master next year but I doubting my academic ability and mental state all the time. I am eager to study master as soon as possible because my undergraduate degree doesn't land me a job and I am 26 yo. I am quite scared of what will happen if I rushed into a master and failed.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by uglyhermit123
Hi student room, I have some questions about failing a master.

1. Can I retake the master in someplace else? Let's just say I failed a nursing conversion course "adult nursing" can I do it in another uni start from year one?
2. Can I take another master?

Hi there,

Going into a masters is scary for everyone, so how you are feeling is completely normal.
However, making plans almost assuming you will fail a degree you haven’t even started yet is not good for your mental health, and not setting yourself up for success. I have a few tips that I’ve learned during my own postgraduate study that might help you right now.

First, asking for help when you need it is essential. So many people struggle with workload, mental health, work/life balance, or many other things. You say that you’re doubting your academic ability, but if the admissions team think you are not able they simply wouldn’t admit you. Other people believe in your ability, but you also said you doubt your mental health which can be a huge factor in getting the motivation and confidence you need for your studies. I would really encourage you to speak to a mental health professional about these feelings, having support is really important! You can look for this through your current or new university, as most will offer some form of free counselling, therapy, and ongoing support. You can also look to family and friends for people to talk to, outside perspectives can be really helpful.

If you are doubting your academic abilities, maybe working to improve weak areas can boost your confidence and improve your chances of doing well in the next degree. While I don’t know what topic you are studying, you might struggle with (for example) statistics. There are so many online courses and videos (most of them free) that you could set aside some time each week to work on. I use LinkedIn Learning for a lot of these skills, which I have free access to as a Cranfield student. Youtube is also a great resource, and depending on the topic many websites also offer certificates you could add to your CV!

When you start your masters, you’ll get to know your teaching team. In Cranfield this is your course director (the person who manages the running of the course, and also typically teaches some of the lectures), lecturers and professors (who teach classes on their subject, and will supervise group and thesis projects), as well as guest lecturers. We also have Student Academic Support (SAS), a team there to help with anything you’re struggling with during the course. Depending on why you are struggling, one or more of these people can give you suggestions on how to help. For example, some people need to study part time to allow themselves time to balance masters work and care responsibilities (e.g. for a child or an ill family member). Others pause their studies for things like getting help with their physical or mental health. Some people need additional resources from the university, like support with their English (if that is not their first language). Know you will have a good support system around you, as long as you make sure they know you need help!

Hopefully these things will help you get more confidence about passing the masters your first time, which is what you should be focusing on right now!
Best of luck with the upcoming academic year,
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending