The Student Room Group

Go back to uni for a second degree or stick with my chosen career?

Hi everyone! So in the summer I graduated from uni and got a pretty decent job out of it. I am enjoying my job but feel unfulfilled. When I was 18 I applied for university in a slightly different field and unfortunately didn’t get in. I took this as a sign from the universe that it wasn’t meant to be. At 21 I applied for a different course (which I recently graduated from). Looking back I feel disheartened that I didn’t go with my first choice. All though I like my job and it’s not massively different I don’t feel like I’m doing what I should be doing. A part of me really wants to go back and do a 2 year full time course. Now I know what you are thinking, well go back then? Well me and my partner recently got engaged. We also finally moved out of our parents homes at 25 and finally feel abit of freedom. If I was to go back to university we would financially struggle. It would make sense to move back home to our parents. Both our parents have said they are perfectly fine with that. My partner is happy to support me regardless of what I want to do. But I feel like I’m going backwards? I feel like I’m letting him down by moving back home. I also love my own space and freedom now. I love that we can spend evenings together etc. We waited years for what we currently have. On top of that everyone seems to think I should be concentrating on my wedding or having children when in the back of my mind I’m longing for the career I don’t have. What should I do? I feel like I need an adult lol 😅😂
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone! So in the summer I graduated from uni and got a pretty decent job out of it. I am enjoying my job but feel unfulfilled. When I was 18 I applied for university in a slightly different field and unfortunately didn’t get in. I took this as a sign from the universe that it wasn’t meant to be. At 21 I applied for a different course (which I recently graduated from). Looking back I feel disheartened that I didn’t go with my first choice. All though I like my job and it’s not massively different I don’t feel like I’m doing what I should be doing. A part of me really wants to go back and do a 2 year full time course. Now I know what you are thinking, well go back then? Well me and my partner recently got engaged. We also finally moved out of our parents homes at 25 and finally feel abit of freedom. If I was to go back to university we would financially struggle. It would make sense to move back home to our parents. Both our parents have said they are perfectly fine with that. My partner is happy to support me regardless of what I want to do. But I feel like I’m going backwards? I feel like I’m letting him down by moving back home. I also love my own space and freedom now. I love that we can spend evenings together etc. We waited years for what we currently have. On top of that everyone seems to think I should be concentrating on my wedding or having children when in the back of my mind I’m longing for the career I don’t have. What should I do? I feel like I need an adult lol 😅😂

How does this two-year full-time course relate to the course you wanted to do originally? And how does it relate to the course you graduated from?

Is the 2-year course another bachelor's degree? Or a master's? Or something else?

Is the new course to progress with your current career, or are you looking to move to a different career? Could you do that without needing an additional qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
How does this two-year full-time course relate to the course you wanted to do originally? And how does it relate to the course you graduated from?

Is the 2-year course another bachelor's degree? Or a master's? Or something else?

Is the new course to progress with your current career, or are you looking to move to a different career? Could you do that without needing an additional qualification?

Both courses are in dentistry, it’s just two different fields of dentistry. The 2 year course is a diploma not actually a degree (but I will be attending university full time). Although it is another field, I would be able to integrate the two into my daily work life. This would massively expand my scope of practice and earning potential. Unfortunately, I would not be able to practice in this field without doing the course.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Firstly, everyone has their ambitions, some are about kids, some are about weddings, yours is about your career. Don't feel pressured into societal expectations or what people are telling you to do. Its your life, your life isn't about you having kids, your life should be about you being happy. It's not wrong for you to be thinking about your career at all. Its your life.

Secondly, If i were you I would keep doing your job. As you mentioned, you said you would struggle financially. You came a long way with your partner and putting something as big as university debt could be risky. Unfortunately, sometimes people do have to let go of things they once wanted(or still want) because they know what they have now is stable and reliable as well as it being better than before. You recently graduated so you can't have been working in your job for that long. You may turn out to love your job, its too soon to tell in that sense. Just because one door closes, doesn't mean all doors close. Many more great opportunities will come your way that will make you happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending