The Student Room Group

Completed university unsure what to do next

Hi I hope you are well, I have graduated from university with a 2:2 degree in Computing. I’ve had two major interview offers from firms however both of which I’ve been unsuccessful. I ideally want to become a Junior IT Technician/Support working 1st/2nd line. I’ve considered a degree apprenticeship although am I eligible for it and at the same time am I overly qualified for an apprenticeship. I just want to start somewhere my Technology journey and build the step towards a Junior or even IT Technician and Support role. I feel as a failure with a 2:2 degree :frown:. Any tips or advice please.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I hope you are well, I have graduated from university with a 2:2 degree in Computing. I’ve had two major interview offers from firms however both of which I’ve been unsuccessful. I ideally want to become a Junior IT Technician/Support working 1st/2nd line. I’ve considered a degree apprenticeship although am I eligible for it and at the same time am I overly qualified for an apprenticeship. I just want to start somewhere my Technology journey and build the step towards a Junior or even IT Technician and Support role. I feel as a failure with a 2:2 degree :frown:. Any tips or advice please.

Hey Anon! :smile: It can feel a bit daunting finishing university. I'd stress that you're absolutely not a failure with a 2:2 degree though! The fact that you've had two major interviews proves that you're capable and qualified to be considered by great firms. Did you ask for feedback after your interviews? I'd really push for that if you haven't already - make sure to ask what you can improve on with your interview technique and what would make you a more competitive candidate in your next one.

Can you get in touch with your university careers service? Use them to your advantage if you haven't already. Ask for support whether it's with CVs/interviews or through networking opportunities and job listings.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Just as a general comment: apply to as many jobs as you can find for which you think you are a strong candidate and you have the time to make a high-quality application. If you find that the only thing you get an interview (or offer) for is an apprenticeship, so be it. You have to start somewhere :smile:. Good luck!

I have a science PhD from Cambridge and it took me months to find a job in science communication (the field I wanted to go into, and that wasn't even my first choice as I really wanted to do medical communication but there were few vacancies in/around Cambs and remote was not so common yet). It's hard for most people to land a job that they actually really want to do.
Reply 3
A recruiter told me that on average people go for 7 interviews before landing a role. You learn a bit each time to be stronger for the next, keep at it. A degree in computing is an excellent qualification and a 2:2 is not a failure
Original post by Zarek
A recruiter told me that on average people go for 7 interviews before landing a role. You learn a bit each time to be stronger for the next, keep at it. A degree in computing is an excellent qualification and a 2:2 is not a failure

Thank you do you think that even though I’ve done a degree could I possibly do an apprenticeship to start off somewhere
Reply 5
Original post by Mohammed_80
Thank you do you think that even though I’ve done a degree could I possibly do an apprenticeship to start off somewhere

Absolutely, a degree is the start of a career journey and many graduate schemes are in effect an apprenticeships. Do a bit of research, get some help from uni careers or National careers service. With the qualification you have I don’t think it will be long before you find something
Original post by Zarek
Absolutely, a degree is the start of a career journey and many graduate schemes are in effect an apprenticeships. Do a bit of research, get some help from uni careers or National careers service. With the qualification you have I don’t think it will be long before you find something

Where’s the best place to look for apprenticeships and what type should I look for for example level wise etc
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
What jobs have you applied for? Were they graduate level jobs or internships? If you're struggling I'd suggest going for 12-months internships first, build your experience and then transfer onto a graduate level job. In my experience that seemed to have worked well for STEM students, although still apply for graduate jobs, you never know what opportunity may arise.
In my own experience and judging from the experience of students that I mentored it seems that for a very average CV and interview performance the success rate is: 1 job offer from 3 interviews, and 1 interview from ~10 applications, i.e. 1 offer out of 30 decent job applications. It's hard to quantify since there are so many things contributing to your success here, but since you were getting invited to the interviews that means your CV is good enough to get you there, so you need to work on improving how you present yourself on an interview.

Have a look here for internships:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-work-placements-internships
and here for graduate programmes:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-graduate-jobs

FYI, right now is the best time for applying since majority of the internship and graduate level jobs are being advertised between September and November.

All the best,
Al
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by ThatguyAl
What jobs have you applied for? Were they graduate level jobs or internships? If you're struggling I'd suggest going for 12-months internships first, build your experience and then transfer onto a graduate level job. In my experience that seemed to have worked well for STEM students, although still apply for graduate jobs, you never know what opportunity may arise.
In my own experience and judging from the experience of students that I mentored it seems that for a very average CV and interview performance the success rate is: 1 job offer from 3 interviews, and 1 interview from ~10 applications, i.e. 1 offer out of 30 decent job applications. It's hard to quantify since there are so many things contributing to your success here, but since you were getting invited to the interviews that means your CV is good enough to get you there, so you need to work on improving how you present yourself on an interview.

Have a look here for internships:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-work-placements-internships
and here for graduate programmes:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/all-disciplines/engineering-graduate-jobs

FYI, right now is the best time for applying since majority of the internship and graduate level jobs are being advertised between September and November.

All the best,
Al

Hi Al I hope you are well they were graduate roles as Junior Tech Support. I am struggling in terms of finding the opportunity usually per job applied for I would get the email my application is advanced onto the next stage for an interview however upon an interview it just doesn’t come to be successful . Thank you I’ll do that :smile:
I have a friend that’s in the computing field but he does a apprenticeship the fact that he works and learns on the job whilst getting paid seems appealing and tempting to me although I wonder if I would be overqualified to do a apprenticeship in IT Support.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi Al I hope you are well they were graduate roles as Junior Tech Support. I am struggling in terms of finding the opportunity usually per job applied for I would get the email my application is advanced onto the next stage for an interview however upon an interview it just doesn’t come to be successful . Thank you I’ll do that :smile:

Hi, so you are invited for interviews, but then after you have done the interview, you are never selected for a further stage/given an offer? In that case it sounds like your educational background/experiences are good for the job, but something about how you present yourself and/or interact with people might put them off. If I were you, I would ask for feedback on your interview when you are told/emailed that you will not be progressed to the next stage of selection/you will not be made an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending