The Student Room Group

Whats wrong with my cat??

A few weeks ago my cat got this inflated lump on his left cheek, it ended up exploding at like 1am in the morning and he BLED all over the house, literally trails of blood. Knowing my cat, my family assumed it was an injury and no one looked into it, because we let him outside alot and hes always fighting with other cats or whatever it is he does, and he ends up coming home with injuries like scratches on his nose, but usually nothing too bad. Since we assumed that was an injury, we just brushed it off. But it happened again today, the same part of his face (on his left cheek) became inflated , I noticed it this morning and pointed it out to my parents, because of his inflated cheek his eye on that side of his face was also sealed shut with some kind of gooey residue? I cleaned his eye with salt and warm water and it opened slightly, but anyways later on, the balloon on his face just exploded again and he bled all over the house. Now because its happened 2 times in the same spot I’m thinking its not an injury maybe theres something wrong with him?? Hes always getting sick, like a few months ago he just didnt eat and just slept straight for 3-4 days and when we took him to the vet they said he had an infection and gave him an injection ( that alone was £250!). Maybe he has an immune weak system, our 2 other cats have never gotten sick before I dont know whats wrong with him. We’re taking him to the vet probably tomorrow but has anyone else had the same experience, any ideas as to what it may be???
that is 100% an infection. please take him to the vet
Original post by vapordave
that is 100% an infection. please take him to the vet

My family agreed to take him tomorrow but I think its something more than an infection, hes ALWAYS getting sick, this thing on his face would be an example, another time when he got these spots all over his neck and head, we took him to the vet and they gave us this thing that we had to keep applying on the spots till they left, one time he came home with a busted eye ( thought he was gonna be blind forever) but the vet said wash it with salt and water and it will heal, another time when he stopped eating and just kept sleeping and we took him to the vet and they said he had an infection?? Hes not even old, hes 4 years old so idk why he keeps getting so sick, and everytime we take him to the vet, the vets dont even tell us the problem, they just give us medicine for him etc and send us back with no context. My 2 other cats are fine, we feed all 3 of them the same food, treat them the same way. The only difference with this cat is that everytime he leaves the house he comes back injured or dirty… and the only other difference ( which im sure has zero correlation) is that hes long haired and the other 2 are short haired. 100% sure that doesnt matter tho
Original post by Anonymous
My family agreed to take him tomorrow but I think its something more than an infection, hes ALWAYS getting sick, this thing on his face would be an example, another time when he got these spots all over his neck and head, we took him to the vet and they gave us this thing that we had to keep applying on the spots till they left, one time he came home with a busted eye ( thought he was gonna be blind forever) but the vet said wash it with salt and water and it will heal, another time when he stopped eating and just kept sleeping and we took him to the vet and they said he had an infection?? Hes not even old, hes 4 years old so idk why he keeps getting so sick, and everytime we take him to the vet, the vets dont even tell us the problem, they just give us medicine for him etc and send us back with no context. My 2 other cats are fine, we feed all 3 of them the same food, treat them the same way. The only difference with this cat is that everytime he leaves the house he comes back injured or dirty… and the only other difference ( which im sure has zero correlation) is that hes long haired and the other 2 are short haired. 100% sure that doesnt matter tho

There could be an underlying issue. Cat flu and various other diseases can reoccur and could then cause over illnesses. From the sound of what you are describing with the cheek, it sounds like a cat bite/scratch abcess where infection gets in through a scratch/bite from another cat. Underlying issues like cat flu aren't something that has a cure so the only thing a vet could do is treat the actual illnesses as they come up. Bacteria could build up in the long hair more or could disguise scratches that could introduce bacteria more.
Original post by Anonymous
A few weeks ago my cat got this inflated lump on his left cheek, it ended up exploding at like 1am in the morning and he BLED all over the house, literally trails of blood. Knowing my cat, my family assumed it was an injury and no one looked into it, because we let him outside alot and hes always fighting with other cats or whatever it is he does, and he ends up coming home with injuries like scratches on his nose, but usually nothing too bad. Since we assumed that was an injury, we just brushed it off. But it happened again today, the same part of his face (on his left cheek) became inflated , I noticed it this morning and pointed it out to my parents, because of his inflated cheek his eye on that side of his face was also sealed shut with some kind of gooey residue? I cleaned his eye with salt and warm water and it opened slightly, but anyways later on, the balloon on his face just exploded again and he bled all over the house. Now because its happened 2 times in the same spot I’m thinking its not an injury maybe theres something wrong with him?? Hes always getting sick, like a few months ago he just didnt eat and just slept straight for 3-4 days and when we took him to the vet they said he had an infection and gave him an injection ( that alone was £250!). Maybe he has an immune weak system, our 2 other cats have never gotten sick before I dont know whats wrong with him. We’re taking him to the vet probably tomorrow but has anyone else had the same experience, any ideas as to what it may be???

I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please check if there might be a more suitable place for your thread. Thank you. :smile:
I'd recommend getting pet insurance, though I'm not sure how much any pre-existing conditions would affect the premium

Where did you get the cat from?
Hello there

Quick Reply

Latest