The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Keele, Kent or UWE Bristol?

I have offers from Keele, Kent, and UWE Bristol all for Biomedical Science. I don't know which one to choose as my firm, I think Keele and Kent are more well known, but UWE appeals to me more. I'm not sure if I should be paying more attention to the league tables or go with the one I like the look of more, any advice would be great!
Original post by Anonymous
I have offers from Keele, Kent, and UWE Bristol all for Biomedical Science. I don't know which one to choose as my firm, I think Keele and Kent are more well known, but UWE appeals to me more. I'm not sure if I should be paying more attention to the league tables or go with the one I like the look of more, any advice would be great!

Hi there,

If possible I would advise visiting all universities if possible as nothing can give you a more accurate impression of a university than visiting yourself.

Alternate options include checking out the website as some universities have virtual tour platforms, I can't speak for Keele or Kent but UWE has this one for all three of their campuses - https://virtualtour.uwe.ac.uk/guided-tours.

It is useful to look at the league tables, particularly by subject - here is the one for Biomedical Science - https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2022/sep/24/the-guardian-university-guide-2023-the-rankings.

However you are right as league tables aren't everything, to get a feel for the course it may be worth getting in touch with the programme leader for your chosen course, in this case for UWE it would be Dr Chris Moore, Telephone:+4411732 87155, Email:[email protected]. Talking to the programme leader will give you a good insight into the course, and they may be able to recommend some current or past students you can talk to, if you ask them, to help get an understanding from the student's point of view.

It is a big decision so try and get as much info on the universities as you can before you decide, but it is always good to go with your instincts on which one you think you will like more.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best.

Martin
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there:smile:

I've studied at Kent for the last few years so i'm hoping that I can give you a bit of an insight as to what it's like. There are numerous facilities on campus such as a big library, an on campus nightclub, a range of bars and eateries, co ops, cafes, book shop, gym and sports centre etc. Campus is located around a 15 minute walk into town which has lots of independent shops and restaurants. There you will also find your bigger retail shops, clubs and Canterbury cathedral (this is where students graduate). There is also a canal where you can take a river boat on a sunny day. I highly recommend doing this as its very picturesque. As for the degree, I have never studied biomedical science but a few of my friends study it and they really enjoy it. I will leave a link to the Biomed web page so that you can browse through the course structure and on campus facilities for your school.
Deciding which university to choose is not easy but my advice is to not focus too deeply on league tables. I personally think its more important to look at student reviews and the number of strikes that has taken place at that uni. Student crowds is a good website for looking at student reviews that are brutally honest. If you have any specific questions about Kent or uni life in general then please let me know!

Best of luck with your decision!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending