The Student Room Group

Psychology Conversion MSc

Hi, I am an international student trying to apply to UK for my masters. Please recommend me some well reviewed and affordable universities for Msc Psychology(conversion). My main basis for selecting these universities are Fees, Location for Jobs and affordable rents. I have not included any uni from London because i think living there would be very costly for an international student. Please give me some feedbacks.

I have listed universities but I want help in selecting one.

1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol
(Note: Not according to preference)
Original post by yyashaswii
Hi, I am an international student trying to apply to UK for my masters. Please recommend me some well reviewed and affordable universities for Msc Psychology(conversion). My main basis for selecting these universities are Fees, Location for Jobs and affordable rents. I have not included any uni from London because i think living there would be very costly for an international student. Please give me some feedbacks.

1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol

Hi @yyashaswii 🙂

It's great to hear that you're interested in the University of Chester! We reached out to Lina, one of our current international students who has provided some information on her experience for you...

Hello! I'm Lina, a second-year international student studying English Literature and Education Studies. I'd like to start by saying that before I moved to the UK and enrolled at the University of Chester, I had the same questions and concerns you might have. So, I hope I can help by sharing the research I did before coming here.

I explored several universities, including Liverpool Hope University, the University of Kent, and even got accepted into UWE Bristol! All of these universities had their merits, but what truly attracted me to the University of Chester was its affordability and its suitability for international students compared to others. Upon arriving in Chester, I realized that its smaller size was, in fact, a significant advantage for international students. It's a safe, intimate environment, yet it still offers the experiences and opportunities of a bigger city. The smaller lecture halls mean lecturers can give you the personal attention you deserve. Our professors know us by name and even offer individual one-on-one tutorials to assist with our work or any questions we may have. Before Chester, I was at a larger university, where I struggled with feeling neglected and overwhelmed by the sheer number of students in my classes.

Through my research, and personal experience, I found that Chester is very affordable in terms of living costs, accommodation, and tuition. I was fortunate to receive a scholarship for my tuition fees, and my twin brother also received one, reducing our overall tuition costs. If you meet the requirements and have exceptional grades, applying and receiving a scholarship is entirely possible! International students are automatically considered for these scholarships when they submit an application, and any award given is shown on the offer letter. This is a great opportunity that not many universities provide!

The University of Chester also offers various job opportunities and has a dedicated department called the Career Hub to help students find jobs, enhance their CVs and portfolios, and even hosts conferences and workshops to improve employability skills. I recently attended a conference planned by the university, where a company discussed how to improve our public speaking skills and network in a professional setting, as well as how to excel in interviews.
If the job you want isn't available at Chester, that's easily manageable as Chester’s strategic location allows you to travel to Manchester, Liverpool, or North Wales! All these locations are very close. Manchester is only an hour away by train, Liverpool is 40 minutes away, and you can quite literally walk to North Wales! All the transportation is affordable and easily accessible.

There are various accommodation options available at Chester, and due to its size, everything is close by! The stores, restaurants, university, and many other establishments are all within reach, which I appreciate for its convenience and sense of safety. It puts my mom at ease, as she's always back home worrying about me and my brother. Chester offers different-sized studios, shared accommodations, and even houses/apartments for rent! I recommend looking at the accommodations provided by the university as they have many available on campus and close to your lectures! A friend of mine who lives on campus wakes up 10 minutes before her lecture and still manages to get to lecture on time. That's how close some of these dorms are! The prices depend on your preferences, but here's the site for accommodation if you're interested! https://www.chester.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/. When I was looking at accommodation, I realized that Chester was much cheaper than Bristol and Liverpool! As for living costs, I usually spend about 25-40 pounds on weekly groceries, depending on the store or what I buy. However, I've noticed that nearly every establishment in the city offers student discounts! All you have to do is show them your student ID, and you can get some discounts and great offers. We have a beautiful public library that even offers a 50% discount on coffee if you're a student.

So many events and activities take place at the university and the city, so it's never dull or boring! I would say that Chester is definitely one of the most affordable places for an international student. I hope that I have answered all of your questions, and please feel free to reach out if you have more! Good luck with your research, application, and all the other procedures.

Lina, and many of our other international students are on Unibuddy and are available to chat online if you have any other questions 🙂 https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/chat-to-student/

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Becky

1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol
Hey, I think you should be checking Russell Group, since they're usually the ones targeted by companies and they also give scholarships. Check the rankings of these universities for a clearer perspective
Reply 3
Original post by saharsaeed
Hey, I think you should be checking Russell Group, since they're usually the ones targeted by companies and they also give scholarships. Check the rankings of these universities for a clearer perspective
I don't think I am eligible for scholarships since my grades are low and most of the Rusell Group uni are expensive. But let's see maybe I can get few amount of scholarships. Thank you

1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol
Hi @yyashaswii,

It's great to hear that you would like to study with us. You may find it helpful to speak with one of our current students Saksham. He is an international student studying the MSc Psychology (Conversion). I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have.

We do also have an upcoming Postgraduate Open Evening on Thursday 21 March from 3pm 6pm. During the event you can chat with tutors and support staff to find out all there is to know about studying for a PGCE, Masters or research degree with us. You can book your place here.

I hope this helps,

Best of luck with your future studies,

Melissa- Course Enquiries
Reply 5
Original post by Edge Hill University
Hi @yyashaswii,
It's great to hear that you would like to study with us. You may find it helpful to speak with one of our current students Saksham. He is an international student studying the MSc Psychology (Conversion). I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you have.
We do also have an upcoming Postgraduate Open Evening on Thursday 21 March from 3pm 6pm. During the event you can chat with tutors and support staff to find out all there is to know about studying for a PGCE, Masters or research degree with us. You can book your place here.
I hope this helps,
Best of luck with your future studies,
Melissa- Course Enquiries
Hi, I could not contact him via this link. Would you please share other means from which I can connect with him?
1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol
@yyashawii

Hi :smile:

I finished my MSc Psychology course not long ago and I had a really great time. The key thing is that the course is accredited by the British Psychological Society. Obviously, we are all going to do a sales pitch to you, what I would recommend is check a Universities report with the QAA, and also their Teaching Excellence Framework Report (both readily available online) for an non-biased view

I went to Arden which also had a 100% online option and has study centres in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
1. Leeds Beckett
2. Liverpool Hope Uni
3. University of kent
4. University of Chester
5. University of Bloton
6. EdgeHill University
7. Coventry University
8. Uwe Bristol
Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

UEL offers MSc Psychology and applications can be made using the following link: MSc Psychology | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

UEL holds Open Events for prospective students. This would be a great opportunity for you to speak to current students, Academics and also have a campus tour. It can be booked online using the following link:
Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending