The Student Room Group

GCSE English Lit 2023 predictions

If anyone has any predictions for AQA English lit, please can you let me know? I'm making a PowerPoint with all the predictions I come across so it'll be easier to revise.

I do Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An inspector Calls and the Power and Conflict anthology.

Obviously I'll still revise everything, but it would be good to have a guide around things that wont likely come up due to being on the past papers.

Scroll to see replies

I’m very curious too, I do aqa all the same as you except our do Romeo and Juliet and lord of the flies!
I’ll do some research to see what’s been done before, let me know your predictions for a Christmas carol and poems!
Reply 2
Original post by www.iLoveEnglish
I’m very curious too, I do aqa all the same as you except our do Romeo and Juliet and lord of the flies!
I’ll do some research to see what’s been done before, let me know your predictions for a Christmas carol and poems!

So far, for A Christmas carol, I've seen people say that the theme may be redemption, but I haven't heard much else. And for the poems it's unlikely that it will be Bayonet Charge or London as they were the 2021 and 2022 papers. Past papers also included Ozymandias, War Photographer and Remains, so I think they will be unlikely to come up too.
Original post by ariekeam
So far, for A Christmas carol, I've seen people say that the theme may be redemption, but I haven't heard much else. And for the poems it's unlikely that it will be Bayonet Charge or London as they were the 2021 and 2022 papers. Past papers also included Ozymandias, War Photographer and Remains, so I think they will be unlikely to come up too.

Ohh I see thankyou!!! Tbh there’s been so many war poems come up in the past I kind of have a feeling it will be something different like checking out me history… god knows what we’d compare that to? Maybe London?
Redemption would be a nice question on a Christmas carol, but I think something similar has been asked in past papers?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Ohh I see thankyou!!! Tbh there’s been so many war poems come up in the past I kind of have a feeling it will be something different like checking out me history… god knows what we’d compare that to? Maybe London?
Redemption would be a nice question on a Christmas carol, but I think something similar has been asked in past papers?

It might have been asked before, I haven't looked the the past papers for ACC yet, i just saw another post on here saying that it might be on that theme. I'm gonna look through the past papers soon though to see what questions were asked. I'll reply again if I find anything.
Original post by ariekeam
It might have been asked before, I haven't looked the the past papers for ACC yet, i just saw another post on here saying that it might be on that theme. I'm gonna look through the past papers soon though to see what questions were asked. I'll reply again if I find anything.

Okay thanks so much! :smile:
London and COMH also my last duchess they all talk about abuse of power from the upper class basically and control. I think there's subtle differences and similarities which could get high grades ofc
My teacher also thinks it could be about memory (so good) maybe the emigree or kamikaze. She was right last year so I'll revise that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mimibesticon
London and COME also my last duchess they all talk about abuse of power from the upper class basically and control. I think there's subtle differences and similarities which could get high grades ofc
My teacher also thinks it could be about memkrh (so good) maybe the emigree or kamikaze. She was right last year so I'll revise that.

Thanks so much for the help! What do you mean by memkrh?
oo i'm so sorry i don't know what my brain was doing. I even said Check out me history as COME instead of COMH. So I apologise. also i was meant to say memory :smile:
Original post by mimibesticon
oo i'm so sorry i don't know what my brain was doing. I even said Check out me history as COME instead of COMH. So I apologise. also i was meant to say memory :smile:

Omg that makes so much sense… since there’s been a lot of war poems in the past I think it’s going to be something different, e.g COMH, London or maybe even the emigree?
Reply 10
For Macbeth I've seen a lot of people say the witches or the supernatural and the extract could possible be act 1, scene 1 or act 4, scene 1 as they both feature the witches
Reply 11
Thought I'd pop on, in case anyone's not seen it Mr Salle's has just released his first prediction video for Macbeth. See Here. Best of luck for the AQA exam next Wednesday, and for all those with their GCSEs this year:smile:.
Reply 12
To summarise:

- It's possible that it will be a theme, especially the supernatural or ambition as themes haven't been seen much.

- Lady Macbeth may also come up, possibly linked to the supernatural or guilt.

- top tips include summarise 8 key points for the characters and themes, make a practice essay. Look at the end too, e.g. Lady Macbeth being a fiend like queen and Macbeth's reaction ('she would have died here after'. Try and get five to eight quotations for the things that cover the entire play: for example, for LM do her introduction with the soliloquy, then her argument with Macbeth, her madness and death.

A little personal tip: try and get some structural and form points too. They can generally be applied for all questions relating to a theme/character, but can get some good marks.

Hope that helps for those in a rush :smile:

Best of luck everyone!
I do RJ ACC and poetry anthology. RJ i'm betting is going to be about fate as it hasn't been asked in a while on the aqa papers. ACC I'd say something about the crachits and family or something character related but thats a wild guess. Power and conflict poetry my guess is that super long poems probably won't come up like My last Duchess and COTLB as it's never rlly been more than a page long and i'd assume the exam board would assume people would take too long reading it so probably something simple like London or Ozymandias. AIC is too open ended to predict, but if i were to predict id say one question would be about the inspector or Gerald. All the themes boil down to inequality and stuff like that anyway. Those are my predictions :smile:
Reply 14
Thank you so much.i hope sooooo.
Original post by ferhat_doganozu
I do RJ ACC and poetry anthology. RJ i'm betting is going to be about fate as it hasn't been asked in a while on the aqa papers. ACC I'd say something about the crachits and family or something character related but thats a wild guess. Power and conflict poetry my guess is that super long poems probably won't come up like My last Duchess and COTLB as it's never rlly been more than a page long and i'd assume the exam board would assume people would take too long reading it so probably something simple like London or Ozymandias. AIC is too open ended to predict, but if i were to predict id say one question would be about the inspector or Gerald. All the themes boil down to inequality and stuff like that anyway. Those are my predictions :smile:

You’ve got some pretty good predictions there! I hope the RJ question is about fate, that would be a nice question.
for the poems, I don’t think it’s going to be a war poem; that’s already came up too many times! I’m thinking London, like you said, but also Emigree or Tissue? (God forbid it’s tissue cause then I’m screwed)
Thanks so much for the help! What do you mean by memkrh?

i think she meant memory
Reply 17
Original post by ferhat_doganozu

The length of the poem doesn’t determine the length of the responses though so it doesn’t matter if MLD comes up. COTLB only takes up one page in the AQA format so that disproves that. Ozymandias has come in 2018 and London in 2021 so neither of those are likely. A Gerald question has come up on responsibility but Inspector hasn’t. So unlikely to be that again.
Reply 18
My predictions are:

Macbeth - guilt (possibly focused on lady macbeth) or kingship (that would make a hard question)
A Christmas Carol - The extract will be from stave 5 (they've never done that before), with most likely question being redemption
Poetry - Identity, with checking out me history or kamikaze
I don't do An inspector Calls so obviously dont have any idea about that
Reply 19
Original post by ab99qw
My predictions are:

Macbeth - guilt (possibly focused on lady macbeth) or kingship (that would make a hard question)
A Christmas Carol - The extract will be from stave 5 (they've never done that before), with most likely question being redemption
Poetry - Identity, with checking out me history or kamikaze
I don't do An inspector Calls so obviously dont have any idea about that

Agree with this. I feel like the Inspector is likely in AIC, but I think the theme questions are generally nicer anyway. The poems are extremely likely I think (any that aren't war based effectively, but considering we've had Ozymandias and London). Might also be possible to see supernatural in Macbeth, possibly focused on Lady Macbeth as you said.

Not sure if this will help anyone haha, but I was thinking the other day about Kingship and a possible structure for this being the three ways he shows Kingship and the power of the Divine Right of Kings: the entire thing with their insanity towards the end as a possible punishment due to this: the consideration of the regicide and the effect it has on the world (e.g. 'some say the Earth was feverous and didst shake', 'most sacrilegious murder hath broke ope the Lord's anointed temple...'): and finally on how Macbeth is not considered a true King - Shakespeare shows the importance of the King being chosen, such as with how Macbeth is shown ('tyrant show thy face', the Witches hail him as 'thou shalt be King hereafter' - the supernatural aren't to be trusted), all showing the importance of the Divine Right and Great Chain being preserved. Some of those points might be useful if Kingship does come up?

Thank you for the predictions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending