The Student Room Group

Year Nine and GCSE options Pre Test

I recently picked my options and opted for all three science, all three humanities and a language alongside core. I have a history test worth around 20-30% of my grade on Tuesday, my teacher told us Wednesday. I revised for 1 hour today (friday) and 1 hour on Thursday. I'm quite good at memory and history but I'm busy tomorrow (saturday) so how much do you think I should revise Sunday and Monday. I am picking history for GCSE by the way.
What is the topic? For my exams, I spent around 8 hours per topic for notes and then more for revising, but I am in Year 11 so really need to cement the knowledge.

Just start in the morning on Sunday and work for a bit until you know it. Then spend an hour on Monday going over it. It's important to realise you can't set a time for studying, as it takes people different times and sometimes you can't work as effectively. If you're good at memory, it will take less time. If it's a short topic, it will also take less time.

Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Squidgy087
What is the topic? For my exams, I spent around 8 hours per topic for notes and then more for revising, but I am in Year 11 so really need to cement the knowledge.

Just start in the morning on Sunday and work for a bit until you know it. Then spend an hour on Monday going over it. It's important to realise you can't set a time for studying, as it takes people different times and sometimes you can't work as effectively. If you're good at memory, it will take less time. If it's a short topic, it will also take less time.

Hope this helps.

yeah it's basically to determine my set for y10

it's on 1066, a little of Renaissance, then 1750-1991
Original post by lexistar
I recently picked my options and opted for all three science, all three humanities and a language alongside core. I have a history test worth around 20-30% of my grade on Tuesday, my teacher told us Wednesday. I revised for 1 hour today (friday) and 1 hour on Thursday. I'm quite good at memory and history but I'm busy tomorrow (saturday) so how much do you think I should revise Sunday and Monday. I am picking history for GCSE by the way.

Sometimes when I'm busy I'm listening to podcasts or yt videos relating to the subject whilst I'm on the bus or the subway. I think you should write down all the topics you need to revise and assess how well you know them. I love planning like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA

You don't have to do the different days tho you can do hourly planning
Reply 4
it's a bit late now I did it yesterday but thanks
Yeah but you can use this one the next time. This guy has really good videos about study and revision tips. Btw, how did you do?
Reply 6
For the knowledge section I got 31/35 which I'm actually really happy with.

I'm still waiting for the sixteen marker results tomorrow first period. It's the first one I've ever done so I'm a bit worried but I want at least 10 or 12/16.

Sorry if my previous message came off as rude I didn't mean it that way :smile:
Original post by lexistar
For the knowledge section I got 31/35 which I'm actually really happy with.

I'm still waiting for the sixteen marker results tomorrow first period. It's the first one I've ever done so I'm a bit worried but I want at least 10 or 12/16.

Sorry if my previous message came off as rude I didn't mean it that way :smile:

Noo, not at all, don't worry about it!!

That's good, good luck friend! <3
Reply 8
Thanks! I got it back at 16/16 which I was surprised at tbh. I predicted the question and practiced it so I guess that works. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest