The Student Room Group

Year Nine and GCSE options Pre Test

I recently picked my options and opted for all three science, all three humanities and a language alongside core. I have a history test worth around 20-30% of my grade on Tuesday, my teacher told us Wednesday. I revised for 1 hour today (friday) and 1 hour on Thursday. I'm quite good at memory and history but I'm busy tomorrow (saturday) so how much do you think I should revise Sunday and Monday. I am picking history for GCSE by the way.
Reply 1
What is the topic? For my exams, I spent around 8 hours per topic for notes and then more for revising, but I am in Year 11 so really need to cement the knowledge.

Just start in the morning on Sunday and work for a bit until you know it. Then spend an hour on Monday going over it. It's important to realise you can't set a time for studying, as it takes people different times and sometimes you can't work as effectively. If you're good at memory, it will take less time. If it's a short topic, it will also take less time.

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Squidgy087
What is the topic? For my exams, I spent around 8 hours per topic for notes and then more for revising, but I am in Year 11 so really need to cement the knowledge.

Just start in the morning on Sunday and work for a bit until you know it. Then spend an hour on Monday going over it. It's important to realise you can't set a time for studying, as it takes people different times and sometimes you can't work as effectively. If you're good at memory, it will take less time. If it's a short topic, it will also take less time.

Hope this helps.

yeah it's basically to determine my set for y10

it's on 1066, a little of Renaissance, then 1750-1991
Reply 3
Original post by lexistar
I recently picked my options and opted for all three science, all three humanities and a language alongside core. I have a history test worth around 20-30% of my grade on Tuesday, my teacher told us Wednesday. I revised for 1 hour today (friday) and 1 hour on Thursday. I'm quite good at memory and history but I'm busy tomorrow (saturday) so how much do you think I should revise Sunday and Monday. I am picking history for GCSE by the way.

Sometimes when I'm busy I'm listening to podcasts or yt videos relating to the subject whilst I'm on the bus or the subway. I think you should write down all the topics you need to revise and assess how well you know them. I love planning like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7o09a7t4RA

You don't have to do the different days tho you can do hourly planning
Reply 4
it's a bit late now I did it yesterday but thanks
Reply 5
Yeah but you can use this one the next time. This guy has really good videos about study and revision tips. Btw, how did you do?
Reply 6
For the knowledge section I got 31/35 which I'm actually really happy with.

I'm still waiting for the sixteen marker results tomorrow first period. It's the first one I've ever done so I'm a bit worried but I want at least 10 or 12/16.

Sorry if my previous message came off as rude I didn't mean it that way :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lexistar
For the knowledge section I got 31/35 which I'm actually really happy with.

I'm still waiting for the sixteen marker results tomorrow first period. It's the first one I've ever done so I'm a bit worried but I want at least 10 or 12/16.

Sorry if my previous message came off as rude I didn't mean it that way :smile:

Noo, not at all, don't worry about it!!

That's good, good luck friend! <3
Reply 8
Thanks! I got it back at 16/16 which I was surprised at tbh. I predicted the question and practiced it so I guess that works. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest