The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath as a POC

I am hoping to attend the University of Bath this September and I want to know what it’s like as a black women or just a poc. I hear it’s not very diverse, how true is this? And have you ever felt uncomfortable? I was considering firming Warwick as it felt great there but the Bath course feels better suited for me.
https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/transparency-information/

50 black students out of over 2,500

So yes - not very diverse
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by tochi04
I am hoping to attend the University of Bath this September and I want to know what it’s like as a black women or just a poc. I hear it’s not very diverse, how true is this? And have you ever felt uncomfortable? I was considering firming Warwick as it felt great there but the Bath course feels better suited for me.

Yeah unfortunately Bath isn’t a very diverse area (I live in Somerset and it’s just not a diverse place unfortunately). I don’t think it’s through any fault of the uni or the uni environment however. I attended bath last year as a year 12 for a chemistry day sort of thing and though I’m white so idk if I have a place to say anything but it felt like a nice environment. I have a friend who is south Asian and they said that they didn’t feel any off vibes from any students they interacted with.
I just believe it’s not a diverse area due to its location not being diverse as it’s not a county with many large urban populations. Obviously it is COMPLETELY up to you where you go as you should feel comfortable where you go 🥰. But it was a really nice environment from my experience so if you feel the course is more for you then go for it but if you feel the lack of diversity is a deal breaker then totally go somewhere else after all it’s where you’ll be spending years of your life you wanna feel as comfortable as you possibly can so you can live your best life.
Reply 3
Original post by Feeb_05
Yeah unfortunately Bath isn’t a very diverse area (I live in Somerset and it’s just not a diverse place unfortunately). I don’t think it’s through any fault of the uni or the uni environment however. I attended bath last year as a year 12 for a chemistry day sort of thing and though I’m white so idk if I have a place to say anything but it felt like a nice environment. I have a friend who is south Asian and they said that they didn’t feel any off vibes from any students they interacted with.
I just believe it’s not a diverse area due to its location not being diverse as it’s not a county with many large urban populations. Obviously it is COMPLETELY up to you where you go as you should feel comfortable where you go 🥰. But it was a really nice environment from my experience so if you feel the course is more for you then go for it but if you feel the lack of diversity is a deal breaker then totally go somewhere else after all it’s where you’ll be spending years of your life you wanna feel as comfortable as you possibly can so you can live your best life.

thanks so much !! yeah it sounds amazingg truly, it’s just so difficult when i could go to a very diverse warwick instead. maybe i need to visit it to kind of get a feel for myself as i think i could be fine it would just be nice to not feel like an outsider as i suspect i might !! but thanks you’ve been v helpful 🤗🤗
Original post by tochi04
thanks so much !! yeah it sounds amazingg truly, it’s just so difficult when i could go to a very diverse warwick instead. maybe i need to visit it to kind of get a feel for myself as i think i could be fine it would just be nice to not feel like an outsider as i suspect i might !! but thanks you’ve been v helpful 🤗🤗

No problem, just trying to show someee people on her are helpful and won’t try to shame you about just wanting to feel comfortable! Definitely go and get a feel for both yourself as I know both unis have absolutely incredible facilities so either way you’ll be getting the best. It is really only you that can make this decision so go hang out get more of that uni experience see how it goes 😂🤗
Original post by kaialol
Just under the users name!

Thank you so much! It wasn’t showing up on the app so I’ve moved to the website and managed to find it.
I really love tsr and the community is usually nice and helpful and don’t want this person to ruin it for those just wanting an answer to a question 🤷*♀️
Original post by tochi04

I would personally pick a uni based on how much you'll enjoy it and how much you like as opposed to it being based on diversity :dontknow:, least that what I mostly did (I didn't care about diversity). I also like the support i'm getting and the way my lessons are done.

I have not gone to the university of Bath though or faced racism IRL so I can't give a proper answer here, so someone else with experience might be better suited to answer the question here.
Have you been to a Bath Open Day or an Applicant Visit Day?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
What is your heritage / parentage? Are you Nigerian or Ghanian?

I'm Nigerian!
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Have you been to a Bath Open Day or an Applicant Visit Day?

No, I intended to until I decided Bath was right for me. It was only recently I started having doubts and I think I will book an applicant visit day for my own reassurance!
Original post by tochi04
No, I intended to until I decided Bath was right for me. It was only recently I started having doubts and I think I will book an applicant visit day for my own reassurance!

I think this is best.
Original post by tochi04

Good idea - or you could do a Campus Tour - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/undergraduate-campus-tours/
Reply 12
Original post by tochi04

i'm a black woman here and yes its really really not diverse. so it really depends on you as a person, i grew up in a rural part of england so havent really been greatly effected by the lack of diversity as it is not foreign to me. I will say that its still a nice environment at the uni as a whole and i havent experienced any racism that i can recall, the ACS here is decent and really welcoming and do a lot of things quite often which would be a really easy way to meet other black students here. If the course seems up your ally definitely dont let this put you off because the uni is really good and a nice environment , I would really recommend just coming to visit the uni to see how you feel whilst being here. also maybe avoid the more pricey accommodations like polden ect -they tend to have a higher concentration of closed minded people( in my experience ) which may have an impact on your experience :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by gonah
i'm a black woman here and yes its really really not diverse. so it really depends on you as a person, i grew up in a rural part of england so havent really been greatly effected by the lack of diversity as it is not foreign to me. I will say that its still a nice environment at the uni as a whole and i havent experienced any racism that i can recall, the ACS here is decent and really welcoming and do a lot of things quite often which would be a really easy way to meet other black students here. If the course seems up your ally definitely dont let this put you off because the uni is really good and a nice environment , I would really recommend just coming to visit the uni to see how you feel whilst being here. also maybe avoid the more pricey accommodations like polden ect -they tend to have a higher concentration of closed minded people( in my experience ) which may have an impact on your experience :smile:

thanks so much that’s really helpful to hear !! i am really hoping to go and i think it will be worth the change maybe. so where did u stay?
Reply 14
Original post by tochi04
thanks so much that’s really helpful to hear !! i am really hoping to go and i think it will be worth the change maybe. so where did u stay?

I was in the city in carpenter house and i loved it but if u want to be on campus eastwood is a good bet i think

Quick Reply

Latest