The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Poc at Exeter uni

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience as a poc at Exeter uni. I’m a bisexual poc man, and the things i’ve read about the general experience as someone who isn’t apart of the majority demographic is… concerning but they were quite old as well. So any insight would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Original post by dhuvas
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience as a poc at Exeter uni. I’m a bisexual poc man, and the things i’ve read about the general experience as someone who isn’t apart of the majority demographic is… concerning but they were quite old as well. So any insight would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Hello dhuvas,

I am not the student experience you are looking for but thought I might be able to help you out a little bit.

There is no hiding that we have had some bad publicity over the last few years, which would rightly so concern many people considering applying to Exeter. The reported incidents are not representative of the whole student/staff body and the University is committed to supporting all students and staff. I cannot speak for individual students at Exeter, but as an institution we will act decisively on any reported incidents.

There is also no hiding the fact that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK and as an institution we are not as multicultural as others. We continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse student body; as an intuition we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances. Alongside our work in widening participation we recruit students from over 150 different countries, providing a mix of people to study with.

We have a range of societies in our student union representing a range of different areas highlighting that there is diversity within our student body. A full list of these can be found here (Exeter campuses) and here (Penryn Campus) and hopefully shows that you will find students with a range of interests/backgrounds/experiences.

If you want to speak to current students to get a sense of what Exeter is like, obviously the Student Room is a great platform for this. You may also be interested in trying our ask a current student messaging service where we have students from a range of programmes available to chat. You might also find it useful to reach out to some of our society social media groups (often linked to from the society pages I linked to above) to speak to some of our current students for their perspectives.

I appreciate that this is not necessarily the student perspective that you were looking for but I hope that this is still useful and helps with your decision making. If you have any further questions about Exeter please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending