The Student Room Group

English Language

I do Exedcel English Language and I believe I write really well (in terms of vocabulary) but my grades are horrible. I get 4s and I want to get 7s in that subject. How can I boost my grade??
Reply 1
Heyyy I also do Edexcel English language, and I'm not perfect but I usually get 8s so I think I might be able to help :smile:

With eng lang, it's mostly about analysis, evaluation, comparison, comprehension, writing pieces and timing.

Analysis tips:
- mention effect on reader. Make it interesting! Not just "it makes the reader sad", say smth like: "it causes the reader to question their own sense of happiness".
- use subject terminology to identify specific techniques and analyse them for effect
- point out specific words and analyse
-think about alternative interpretations and deeper meanings for EVERYTHING but don't overcomplicate if you haven't analysed the simpler effects first
-talk about both language and structure/form or else you are limited in terms of the marks you can get

-give interesting, clear points which don't hugely limit what you can say in your paragraphs

-use lots of embedded quotes to back up your point and analyse! 2-3 per paragraph at least. And make sure you write either two big paragraphs or three smaller ones for each analysis question

- mention writer's intention
- discuss change/tone shift in the extract
Evaluation tips:
- everything for analysis and make sure to use evaluation adverbs (PECS) and discuss big picture ideas (SITE +tone)

Comparison:
- everything for analysis and evaluation
- make sure you give quotes from both extracts
- in each point, use a similarity and difference for top marks

Comprehension:
- don't waste too much time here
- pick out short quotes that answer the Q
- make sure the quotes are in the right lines stated in the questiom

Non-fic
- use features of real non-fic pieces
- think about TAPP of yourwriting (Text type, audience, purpose, perspective)
- TONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT.
- read lots of non fic to get to know what they sound like
- actually answer the Q

fic:
Answer the Q properly
Use lots of Lang, struc, form techniques
Make it interesting
Use lots of descriptions+ settings
Make a conclusive ending or leave them on an effective cliffhanger
Have a base character and base setting that you can adapt to any question

Timing
Don't spend too long on one question
Plan beforehand so you can write faster instead of stopping to think
LANGUAGE PAPER TWO WILL END U WITHOUT EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT
Divide up the time for each Q

good luckk 🤞ik you can get 7s and even better. You've got this! Lmk how it goes :smile:
Original post by Caprixe
Heyyy I also do Edexcel English language, and I'm not perfect but I usually get 8s so I think I might be able to help :smile:

With eng lang, it's mostly about analysis, evaluation, comparison, comprehension, writing pieces and timing.

Analysis tips:
- mention effect on reader. Make it interesting! Not just "it makes the reader sad", say smth like: "it causes the reader to question their own sense of happiness".
- use subject terminology to identify specific techniques and analyse them for effect
- point out specific words and analyse
-think about alternative interpretations and deeper meanings for EVERYTHING but don't overcomplicate if you haven't analysed the simpler effects first
-talk about both language and structure/form or else you are limited in terms of the marks you can get

-give interesting, clear points which don't hugely limit what you can say in your paragraphs

-use lots of embedded quotes to back up your point and analyse! 2-3 per paragraph at least. And make sure you write either two big paragraphs or three smaller ones for each analysis question

- mention writer's intention
- discuss change/tone shift in the extract
Evaluation tips:
- everything for analysis and make sure to use evaluation adverbs (PECS) and discuss big picture ideas (SITE +tone)

Comparison:
- everything for analysis and evaluation
- make sure you give quotes from both extracts
- in each point, use a similarity and difference for top marks

Comprehension:
- don't waste too much time here
- pick out short quotes that answer the Q
- make sure the quotes are in the right lines stated in the questiom

Non-fic
- use features of real non-fic pieces
- think about TAPP of yourwriting (Text type, audience, purpose, perspective)
- TONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT.
- read lots of non fic to get to know what they sound like
- actually answer the Q

fic:
Answer the Q properly
Use lots of Lang, struc, form techniques
Make it interesting
Use lots of descriptions+ settings
Make a conclusive ending or leave them on an effective cliffhanger
Have a base character and base setting that you can adapt to any question

Timing
Don't spend too long on one question
Plan beforehand so you can write faster instead of stopping to think
LANGUAGE PAPER TWO WILL END U WITHOUT EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT
Divide up the time for each Q

good luckk 🤞ik you can get 7s and even better. You've got this! Lmk how it goes :smile:

tysm!! <33 u gave me better advice than my own English lang teacher !! (p.s. can you define the acronyms that you used bc my teacher can't teach lmao)
Reply 3
Original post by scammed2myheart
tysm!! <33 u gave me better advice than my own English lang teacher !! (p.s. can you define the acronyms that you used bc my teacher can't teach lmao)

Heyyy nppp <33 lmao hopefully Ur teacher teaches better for the next generation lol
Here are the acronyms:
PECS = evaluative adverbs = powerfully, effectively, clearly, successfully. You could also use words like adeptly, which is my fave.

SITE= big picture ideas to use for Ur point when evaluating= Settings, ideas, themes and events
Hope this helped!
Original post by scammed2myheart
I do Exedcel English Language and I believe I write really well (in terms of vocabulary) but my grades are horrible. I get 4s and I want to get 7s in that subject. How can I boost my grade??

Heya!
I would recommend going over your previous work with your teacher and ask for feedback, especially on why you keep loosing the marks :h: If it helps, here is a useful article on how to do better in English!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest