The Student Room Group

should I take english language or sociology a-level?

i am doing history, french and either sociology or english language but i am entirely stuck on what to pick and need advice

i find sociology more interesting but i think english language would work better with my combination
Original post by cosmias
i am doing history, french and either sociology or english language but i am entirely stuck on what to pick and need advice

i find sociology more interesting but i think english language would work better with my combination

Sociology - you like it more.
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Sociology - you like it more.

sadly had to pick my final choice a few hours ago and didn't see your reply so i picked english language D: kinda regretting it but hopefully itll be fine
English Language works very well with history and a language. I did the same combination myself but with German instead of French :smile:

Do you have the option of switching in the first couple of weeks if you find it’s not for you?
Reply 4
Original post by hannychica
English Language works very well with history and a language. I did the same combination myself but with German instead of French :smile:

Do you have the option of switching in the first couple of weeks if you find it’s not for you?

i'm not sure but i hope so! i think english language will be better for me in the long run (university) as it will allow me a broader range of subjects to choose from at uni since i have NO idea what i want to do but truly i find sociology much more interesting so we'll see how it goes

how did you find history, english language and german? did you enjoy it?
Original post by cosmias
i'm not sure but i hope so! i think english language will be better for me in the long run (university) as it will allow me a broader range of subjects to choose from at uni since i have NO idea what i want to do but truly i find sociology much more interesting so we'll see how it goes

how did you find history, english language and german? did you enjoy it?

German was my number 1 subject which I ended up studying at uni. I really enjoyed English Language though, it is very different from GCSE but so interesting. I especially loved the language acquisition unit where you learn how children learn their native language - not sure if it still exists as I did it many years ago? Some people found the subject more challenging than others but it clicked very well with me. Being a linguist really helps imo.

History for me was more of a challenge, as the jump from GCSE to A Level is massive. I still found it interesting, just content heavy with tough assessment methods.
Reply 6
Original post by hannychica
German was my number 1 subject which I ended up studying at uni. I really enjoyed English Language though, it is very different from GCSE but so interesting. I especially loved the language acquisition unit where you learn how children learn their native language - not sure if it still exists as I did it many years ago? Some people found the subject more challenging than others but it clicked very well with me. Being a linguist really helps imo.

History for me was more of a challenge, as the jump from GCSE to A Level is massive. I still found it interesting, just content heavy with tough assessment methods.

yes!!! child language acquisition is what i'm most excited about too - i'm not really interesting in the creative writing side, i just like linguistics & how language changes over time
Original post by cosmias
yes!!! child language acquisition is what i'm most excited about too - i'm not really interesting in the creative writing side, i just like linguistics & how language changes over time

Hi! I've just finished my a-levels in french, german & history and honestly the most important thing is that you are interested in your subject because there is so much work! it sounds like you are looking forward to english language so I'm sure you'll love it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest