The Student Room Group

Spectroscopy help

How does this form this because there’s only one carbon and then there’s 3 ???
Plz help or send me a yt video explaining it I can’t find one
IMG_2013.jpeg
(edited 1 year ago)
The C atom can only form 4 bonds so there isn’t 9 protons bonded to the same carbon
the integration value (peak area) just shows the number of protons in the same environment in this case 3 CH3 groups bonded to the same carbon hence why the integration value is 9

I hope that is somewhat helpful I tried my best to explain it, if you need anymore help just ask:smile:
Original post by aj_11_04
The C atom can only form 4 bonds so there isn’t 9 protons bonded to the same carbon
the integration value (peak area) just shows the number of protons in the same environment in this case 3 CH3 groups bonded to the same carbon hence why the integration value is 9

I hope that is somewhat helpful I tried my best to explain it, if you need anymore help just ask:smile:

thanks I understand that part but I don’t get why there are 4 carbons
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
thanks I understand that part but I don’t get why there are 4 carbons

There are 9 protons in the same environment and so 3 the CH3 groups have to be bonded to the same central C atom which will give a singlet

The data sheet shows it as HC-R where the R in this case is the central C atom, and the 9 protons are divided to make the same environment giving the 3 other C atoms
Original post by aj_11_04
There are 9 protons in the same environment and so 3 the CH3 groups have to be bonded to the same central C atom which will give a singlet

The data sheet shows it as HC-R where the R in this case is the central C atom, and the 9 protons are divided to make the same environment giving the 3 other C atoms

I’m still confused, but you explain well thanks.
im just confused about the fact that in the table it say H9-C showing one C not 3

also can u be my chemistry tutor 🥹🙏
my exams are in 2 months
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
I’m still confused, but you explain well thanks.
im just confused about the fact that in the table it say H9-C showing one C not 3

also can u be my chemistry tutor 🥹🙏
my exams are in 2 months

It should really say 3 H3C-R indicating the 9 protons in the same environment which would be a more visual way to see the number of carbons
It’s just because it tells you the number of protons in the environment and not the number of carbons, 1H NMR is the more complex than 13C NMR but I’m sure with more practice questions you should be able to get a better understanding

Machem guy on YouTube has videos explaining proton NMR
This is the link to the first video on proton NMR and there are subsequent video with further explanation
https://youtu.be/xZRA1Qh_QtM

if you have any further questions i don’t mind answering them when i have time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest