The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with revising history? (GCSE EDEXCEL)

Tips for memorisation? I'm aiming for 7/8
Original post by propergoodman

i find it helpful to read things and then repeat them out loud. Check if I repeated it correctly and if I didn’t I’ll re write the piece of information that I missed

Hi! I do Edexcel History and my modules are Crime and Punishment, Early Elizabethan Era, The Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany. I'm predicted a 9 (and working at a grade 9) so hopefully some of my methods prove helpful. It's worth noting that History has always been a subject that comes fairly quickly to me as opposed to other subjects, so keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you.

If you struggle with recalling dates, get post-it notes and stick them up around your room with the dates on them and just read them to yourself at least once a day. Even if you're not consciously trying to memorise it as you read it, in the time between now and the exam, you'll end up learning so many without realising. Of course, if you can try to consciously memorise them, that's even better.

In C&P, there is a lot of change and continuity; for each period e.g Medieval, I try to make flashcards on the changes and continuity in law enforcement and crime (this is just an example). Loads of people claim that it's 'too late' to be making flashcards so close to the exam, but it really isn't and I find it quite useful.

When you are revising, break it down into chunks. For instance the first topic you do (in my case Crime and Punishment), one day, focus solely on the one era, and the next day put all your focus onto the next. The day after that, do comparison between the two. If you do that with every era you cover, you'll get all the content memorised fairly easily.

I hope that's helpful in anyway, and if you do study any of the modules I do, I'm willing to help with anything

Heya!
Flashcards + active recall + blurting is a good ways to memorise the material. Make sure to do lots of practice questions as well! Study Mind has free resources if it helps :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by AmeenahHs
Hi! I do Edexcel History and my modules are Crime and Punishment, Early Elizabethan Era, The Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany. I'm predicted a 9 (and working at a grade 9) so hopefully some of my methods prove helpful. It's worth noting that History has always been a subject that comes fairly quickly to me as opposed to other subjects, so keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you.

If you struggle with recalling dates, get post-it notes and stick them up around your room with the dates on them and just read them to yourself at least once a day. Even if you're not consciously trying to memorise it as you read it, in the time between now and the exam, you'll end up learning so many without realising. Of course, if you can try to consciously memorise them, that's even better.

In C&P, there is a lot of change and continuity; for each period e.g Medieval, I try to make flashcards on the changes and continuity in law enforcement and crime (this is just an example). Loads of people claim that it's 'too late' to be making flashcards so close to the exam, but it really isn't and I find it quite useful.

When you are revising, break it down into chunks. For instance the first topic you do (in my case Crime and Punishment), one day, focus solely on the one era, and the next day put all your focus onto the next. The day after that, do comparison between the two. If you do that with every era you cover, you'll get all the content memorised fairly easily.

I hope that's helpful in anyway, and if you do study any of the modules I do, I'm willing to help with anything

Have you got any tips for moving from 7 to 8? I do edexcel and do american west, early liz era, crime and punishment and weimar and Nazi germany:smile:
Have you got any tips for moving from 7 to 8? I do edexcel and do american west, early liz era, crime and punishment and weimar and Nazi germany:smile:

Ah so our topics are fairly similar. In exams, examiners absolutely love it when you fill your paragraphs with SPEND. In every exam question you do, add as much SPEND knowledge that you're able to. SPEND stands for: Statistics, People and Places, Events, Names (not of people) and Dates. Of course, for every exam question you do, you won't always be able to put all five in, but there's always an opportunity to slip a couple of dates in somewhere.

For 12 and 16 markers, analytical language is key, and they will really push you from a grade 7 to an 8
Use phrases like 'This exaccerbated' or 'This was a crucial turning point' etc

For your 12 markers, do them in order of importance. If the question is asking you to 'Explain why there was a growing concern about poverty under Elizabeth's reign' at the end of each paragraph you need to link back to what's being asked and talk about whether you think issue X was a greater issue than issue Y, and explain why or why not.

For your 16 marker, ALWAYS include a conclusion. Even if you've not completed the rest of your answer and you see that you've got five minutes left, finish off your sentence and go straight to the conclusion.

How to Structure your conclusion:
1) Judgement wording of the question→why
2) Acknowledge a counter argument have a debate
3) Judgement wording of the question why

I'll provide an example of one of my conclusions that I've previously written:

In conclusion, I strongly agree that the Nazis were quite successful due to the immense amount of resources pooled into staying in control, and indoctrinating the Youth. To name a few, the Hitler Youth Program and the League of German Maidens. On the other hand, it could be argued that Hitler did not entirely consolidate his power, since there was evidence of his failure highlighted through the Edelweiss Pirates and the Swing Kids. Despite the failures in Hitler's regime, it was clear that he was able to tackle the flaws as the rebellious youth were shut down through a number of methods, including the use of concentration camps, beatings, and even public executions. Although the use of these methods are arguably also demonstrations of the failures of Gleichschaltung, overall, Hitler and the Nazis success outweigh the flaws, therefore I strongly agree that the Nazis were quite successful.

Hopefully this is useful, and of course let me know if there's anything else I could do to help
Reply 6

hey! when revising history everyone has their different methods. but after doing research for my own exams, I found that these are the more common methods:

1. make mind maps - people find it easier to retain information if they can see if visually all right in front of them. make mind maps or posters with information for each unit. for e.g. my school gave me a3 paper and I used each paper for a different topic such as Cold War or Henry VIII. dont add too many words, include diagrams, add only key content

2. flash cards - something I messed up on was key dates. for example, in a mock I was asked about the Berlin Wall in Cold War within a specific time frame but I wrote about the wrong dates. make flashcards testing you if you know the topics and when they occur.

3. past papers + exam questions - expose yourself to as many questions as possible and try to complete every question you find. this will allow you to get as much practice as you can as well as allowing you to test your knowledge for almost every topic. you can ask your teacher to give you practice questions as well as finding them online.

I hope this helped and good luck

Quick Reply

Latest