The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Mature student

I'm just wondering if it is compulsory to live in uni accomodation during the first year? Everything I read says it's expected, but I'm an adult with my own home less than half an hour away and I have a child.
Should I just cut my losses and withdraw before I reach this next hurdle?
You don’t have to live in halls if you don’t want to, even if it is the done thing. I’ve met several current Durham students who are living at home, and one of my friends is planning on living at home if he’s accepted into Durham.

However, you still do have to choose a college, as they act as the hub for events, societies and a few other things like college scholarships and sports teams.

If I remember correctly, St. Hild’s and Bede’s are said to have the highest number of students who don’t live at the college (‘livers out’) :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
This has reassured me, thank you so much 😊
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just wondering if it is compulsory to live in uni accomodation during the first year? Everything I read says it's expected, but I'm an adult with my own home less than half an hour away and I have a child.
Should I just cut my losses and withdraw before I reach this next hurdle?

Hi there

As mentioned above, it's absolutely not compulsory to stay in college accommodation in your first year. I didn't either, so if you feel much better staying at home then absolutely go for it. College accommodation is just ideal so you can get as involved as you want in college life and events, but you can absolutely attend them even if you don't live there (it just takes a bit more effort to commute) :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest