The Student Room Group

When I attend uni I will be 30/31-33/34. Will I be too old to join societies?

I would really like to make friends at university, as I have next to none. I have struggled to leave my house, since the age of 16, and now I am better I would like to make friends. I am mainly interested in the LGBT+ and nursing societies. Will I be too old to join? Will I be surrounded by 18 year olds?
Reply 1
There are plenty of clubs and socs with more mature students. Remember, postgrads are older. Loads of help for students that have had or are still having health issues.
Hi there,

You should definitely join societies. It might seem weird being a mature student surrounded by younger students, but please don't hesitate to get involved. I am currently 21 years old and I'm friends with mature students who are in their 30s. I don't view them any differently, but as my fellow university mates, who are honestly amazing. I feel a sense of security when I am around them as well as feeling inspired by them. Age is literally just a number. You do what you love. :smile:

I hope this helped.

Kind regards,

Coventry University Student Ambassador
Original post by KeziaF
I would really like to make friends at university, as I have next to none. I have struggled to leave my house, since the age of 16, and now I am better I would like to make friends. I am mainly interested in the LGBT+ and nursing societies. Will I be too old to join? Will I be surrounded by 18 year olds?

Hi @KeziaF,

There is usually a group/community of mature students, if there is not one you can ask the university to support you in making one. It is likely that people in societies will be younger but I am sure you will not be the only mature student wanting to find ways to make friends.

You will not be too old to join at all! There is no age limit, if you are worried about this, you can contact the societies social media pages or email and ask about what their society is like and if they think you would fit in well/what kind of support there would be available to you/advice about settling in to the society. The committee on societies are usually very friendly and open to supporting prospective students settle and enjoy their society activities.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Reps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending