The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Mature student - 31 - Nervous!

Wondering if there was anyone else in a similar position. I went to Uni when I was 18 but for various reasons had to leave. Then life happened and I finally applied again and am starting tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm rather nervous I'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Any other mature students starting MMU this week?

:smile:
Reply 1
Hello! I'm not at MMU, but I am also a mature student (31). Many students on my course are older than me too, and it hasn't been an issue at all! I'm studying part time and I also work as a teacher. In my job role I get students from a varying age (a few years ago I had a 60 y/o learner) and have never had any issues with the age gap. People go to uni to learn and they fall in with the crowds that they feel accepted into :smile: Good luck starting uni! You're going to smash it!
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Ryan.R
Hello! I'm not at MMU, but I am also a mature student (31). Many students on my course are older than me too, and it hasn't been an issue at all! I'm studying part time and I also work as a teacher. In my job role I get students from a varying age (a few years ago I had a 60 y/o learner) and have never had any issues with the age gap. People go to uni to learn and they fall in with the crowds that they feel accepted into :smile: Good luck starting uni! You're going to smash it!

Thanks so much!
Original post by DomWoo
Wondering if there was anyone else in a similar position. I went to Uni when I was 18 but for various reasons had to leave. Then life happened and I finally applied again and am starting tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm rather nervous I'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Any other mature students starting MMU this week?

:smile:

Good luck, @DomWoo!!
14% of our undergraduates are mature students, so you don't need to worry about being the only one:smile: We have support available for mature students, and activities at the Student Union specifically geared towards mature students.
I hope this helps!
Chloe :smile:
A lot of my coursemates are 30s 40s so dw
I went back to uni about 35 and no one really batted an eyelid and I certainly wasn't the oldest, and it's actually a big plus being able to talk more equally to staff without any teen angst getting in the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending