The Student Room Group

History GCSE

I can't seem to get my head around the process of revising history. What study methods work for memorising the reams of information that are supposedly indispensable if you're hoping to get a good grade??? And then there's the exam technique... that's a whole other issue so no need to go into that just yet. But the more i think about it, the history GCSE course is quite frankly a joke, an attempt to test the cognitive limits of a 16 y/o.

For those of you who use/d the Eduqas exam board, do the Digital Educational Resources provide a substantial amount of information for the memorisation part of the course, or no?

(A link to one of the sub-topic files found on the Eduqas resource page for relevant topic)
https://resource.download.wjec.co.uk/vtc/2017-18/17-18_2-25/PDF/eduqas-revised-germany-1.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi! I'm an A Level History student looking to study it at University, and I also did gcse history on the Eduqas exam board and got a 9. Once you get to A Level, the way I find it easiest to revise is split the time period up (whether you do it by decade, or the time in between key events ect is up to you!) and look at these three factors for each:
- politics
- economy
- social
Once youve got a good grasp of these, its easy to remember how they all interconnect and you can then start drawing comparisons between each time period (this is particularly important in breadth studies!). I find it easiest to write and rewrite information to revise - aim for no more than one page written for each factor per time period, and get to know these facts really well. I never used the digital education resources, but the one youve linked seems pretty good, if you can organise the information in a way that makes more sense to you. I study political stability in Germany as part of my history course so feel free to pm me if you think I could provide you with any helpful info!

I'm a strong believer that as long as your writing skills are good, you can get by with pretty good grades in history. The structure of the eduqas course especiallly is a joke, but if this is a subject area you're passionate about, it gets better at a level in that respect :smile:
Original post by leahhsss
Hi! I'm an A Level History student looking to study it at University, and I also did gcse history on the Eduqas exam board and got a 9. Once you get to A Level, the way I find it easiest to revise is split the time period up (whether you do it by decade, or the time in between key events ect is up to you!) and look at these three factors for each:
- politics
- economy
- social
Once youve got a good grasp of these, its easy to remember how they all interconnect and you can then start drawing comparisons between each time period (this is particularly important in breadth studies!). I find it easiest to write and rewrite information to revise - aim for no more than one page written for each factor per time period, and get to know these facts really well. I never used the digital education resources, but the one youve linked seems pretty good, if you can organise the information in a way that makes more sense to you. I study political stability in Germany as part of my history course so feel free to pm me if you think I could provide you with any helpful info!

I'm a strong believer that as long as your writing skills are good, you can get by with pretty good grades in history. The structure of the eduqas course especiallly is a joke, but if this is a subject area you're passionate about, it gets better at a level in that respect :smile:

Thank you so much this was a literal godsend!

Quick Reply

Latest