The Student Room Group

Are my GCSES too low for LSE

I plan to study economics and history at LSE. Are my grades too low in my GCSEs?

Grades

Maths 8
Physics 8
Biology 7
Chemistry 7
French 6
English literature 7
English language 8
History 7
Business 5
LSE doesn't offer economics and history, only economics and economic history. The economic history department is a separate department from the history department at LSE, offering separate modules and degree programmes.

In any event they state the following:

"GCSEs
A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)
GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6)
We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile"

You sort of meet that requirement although yours are probably on the weaker end of it, but there's no reason you wouldn't be considered I should imagine.

They may prefer to see FM as well at A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
LSE doesn't offer economics and history, only economics and economic history. The economic history department is a separate department from the history department at LSE, offering separate modules and degree programmes.

In any event they state the following:

"GCSEs
A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)
GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6)
We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile"

You sort of meet that requirement although yours are probably on the weaker end of it, but there's no reason you wouldn't be considered I should imagine.

They may prefer to see FM as well at A-level.

What about just economic history as I do not do further maths.
Original post by Kingdragon
What about just economic history as I do not do further maths.

GCSE expectations are the same although they don't require maths at all.

FM isn't required for economics and economic history explicitly, but they do say they are happy to consider those with maths/FM/an essay subject for it (similar to the single honours economics course) and you take the same economics modules as the single honours economists, who normally are expected to have FM. So you'd probably be considered, you may just be less competitive perhaps.

Quick Reply

Latest