The Student Room Group

A-level maths help!

Okay so I have the answers to the other questions and they are correct but I am just slightly confused about question c. What does it mean that the force acts along the rod does this mean that the force acts perpendicular to the rod?
(edited 1 year ago)
for part c you need to work out a and b and divide them

and along the rod means parallel to the rod, not perpendicular
Original post by skyeforster15
Okay so I have the answers to the other questions and they are correct but I am just slightly confused about question c. What does it mean that the force acts along the rod does this mean that the force acts perpendicular to the rod?

It means that the force the hinge exerts on the rod at A has zero perpendicular component. That should be enough to get a ratio for a/b, probably using moments.
Original post by boomsicles48
for part c you need to work out a and b and divide them

and along the rod means parallel to the rod, not perpendicular

Original post by mqb2766
It means that the force the hinge exerts on the rod at A has zero perpendicular component. That should be enough to get a ratio for a/b, probably using moments.

I do not think that you are supposed to use moments because I thought you had to use the answers from the previous question.
Original post by skyeforster15
I do not think that you are supposed to use moments because I thought you had to use the answers from the previous question.

You could do it a variety of ways. Moments about B would mean F and weight balance. Using the previouos parts would mean the resolved force at A perpendicular to the rod would be zero. Both should be a couple of lines.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest