The Student Room Group

Motivation during job search

I’m going through a difficult time right now, had around 10 interviews, but still not received an offer, many places did not reply when I asked for feedback, and when I did get anything the advice was more subjective than useful.

Of the 10 I interviewed for, got the final 2-3rd stage on 4 occasions, and never got an offer. Any advice on staying motivated? My partner has recently got a job with her first application, that’s rather unsettled my confidence a tad.

I’m applying for Finance related roles generally.
What stage of your career are you at, are you a recent graduate?

I know it's easier said than done, but don't be too disheartened - it really is a numbers game and down to luck sometimes. The fact that you"re getting so many interviews and alsi progressing to final stages is a positive sign and very encouraging - you should be pleased about it. You clearly have the right skills so it just takes one to go your way.

What kind of feedback did you get?
Original post by Bittersweet Symphony
What stage of your career are you at, are you a recent graduate?

I know it's easier said than done, but don't be too disheartened - it really is a numbers game and down to luck sometimes. The fact that you"re getting so many interviews and alsi progressing to final stages is a positive sign and very encouraging - you should be pleased about it. You clearly have the right skills so it just takes one to go your way.

What kind of feedback did you get?

Just away to graduate in July 2023, so currently concluding my studies. Hoping to graduate with at least a 2.1. The only feedback I’ve been able to gather is I could have improved my rational of wanting the job, which I’ve since worked on improving my answer to that question. Apart from that nothing else, as most places did not reply to my messages asking for feedback. I’m just struggling to keep motivated with it right now.
Original post by LittleBear04
Just away to graduate in July 2023, so currently concluding my studies. Hoping to graduate with at least a 2.1. The only feedback I’ve been able to gather is I could have improved my rational of wanting the job, which I’ve since worked on improving my answer to that question. Apart from that nothing else, as most places did not reply to my messages asking for feedback. I’m just struggling to keep motivated with it right now.

Yes I think the rationale for why you have applied to the company in question is very important (and the role too). It can be easy to slip into a generic answer which could apply to could apply to any company or role.

When highlighting your skills, really think about everything you do e.g. part time job, U
uni social clubs or sports clubs, or any volunteering etc - sometimes we don't realise how many skills those things are demonstrating. Use the STAR technique in your answers to competency questions.

https://youtu.be/OOeNGFQFp3k
^ this video and others on his channel are really useful
Original post by Bittersweet Symphony
Yes I think the rationale for why you have applied to the company in question is very important (and the role too). It can be easy to slip into a generic answer which could apply to could apply to any company or role.

When highlighting your skills, really think about everything you do e.g. part time job, U
uni social clubs or sports clubs, or any volunteering etc - sometimes we don't realise how many skills those things are demonstrating. Use the STAR technique in your answers to competency questions.

https://youtu.be/OOeNGFQFp3k
^ this video and others on his channel are really useful

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the link. I‘ll keep working on my STAR technique and see how it goes. Hopefully something comes up soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending