The Student Room Group

nervous about getting a job during gap year

I'm super nervous about applying for jobs and going into interviews. I've decided to take a gap year, and struggling a bit with social anxiety. Any advice?
Just... go for it! I was really nervous about my job interviews but, you know, for the kind of jobs you can do in a gap year, the interviews are fairly laid back, relaxed affairs and there's really very little reason to stress out about them. You just need to apply for as many jobs as you can (and then some more!) and then when it comes to interviews, just read a little about what will be expected of your job, the company, and think of a motivation other than "something to do to make a little bit of money during my gap year". So yeah... you just have to brave it, basically :smile: I know it's hard, but trust me, it's very simple and nice once you actually do it. Wish you the best of luck!
Use indeed. Very helpful. Also if you're shy, working at a bookstore is great. Try and work somewhere you care about, if you can.

Also, retail is painful, avoid avoid avoid. Do NOT work in customer service. Try your best to find somewhere that isn't a 'small' business without support, HR, etc, and check on glass door the reviews of the place from former employees. If you work at a restaurant, you usually get free food on all your shifts. It's a good way to save money.
Restaurants will have late closing hours, so be careful, arrange transport or work out your journey. Bars too. Big supermarkets have good bonuses and they pay ( to my knowledge ) a living wage.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
Just... go for it! I was really nervous about my job interviews but, you know, for the kind of jobs you can do in a gap year, the interviews are fairly laid back, relaxed affairs and there's really very little reason to stress out about them. You just need to apply for as many jobs as you can (and then some more!) and then when it comes to interviews, just read a little about what will be expected of your job, the company, and think of a motivation other than "something to do to make a little bit of money during my gap year". So yeah... you just have to brave it, basically :smile: I know it's hard, but trust me, it's very simple and nice once you actually do it. Wish you the best of luck!

This means so much, I appreciate your words of advice and encouragement! I've applied for a few jobs already so hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

Thank you so much again!
Reply 4
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Use indeed. Very helpful. Also if you're shy, working at a bookstore is great. Try and work somewhere you care about, if you can.

Also, retail is painful, avoid avoid avoid. Do NOT work in customer service. Try your best to find somewhere that isn't a 'small' business without support, HR, etc, and check on glass door the reviews of the place from former employees. If you work at a restaurant, you usually get free food on all your shifts. It's a good way to save money.
Restaurants will have late closing hours, so be careful, arrange transport or work out your journey. Bars too. Big supermarkets have good bonuses and they pay ( to my knowledge ) a living wage.

Such useful advice, thank you so much! I will take this into consideration! I cannot afford to be too picky though, as I need to not be a financial burden to my family haha!

Thank you again!
Original post by throwka
I'm super nervous about applying for jobs and going into interviews. I've decided to take a gap year, and struggling a bit with social anxiety. Any advice?

Hey @throwka :biggrin:
I found job searching really stressful in the past and it can bring on nerves! My top piece of advice is not to beat yourself up about any rejections that might come your way. Every interview is an opportunity for you to learn and develop your interview skills, so getting that far is always a great experience. If you don't get the job ask for feedback :smile: Rejection is just re-direction!

Wishing you tons of luck!!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @throwka :biggrin:
I found job searching really stressful in the past and it can bring on nerves! My top piece of advice is not to beat yourself up about any rejections that might come your way. Every interview is an opportunity for you to learn and develop your interview skills, so getting that far is always a great experience. If you don't get the job ask for feedback :smile: Rejection is just re-direction!

Wishing you tons of luck!!

I really appreciate this advice, thank you so much!
Reply 7
update:

i got very lucky, and found a job that were desperate for staff. i'm going to be working in a care home, very nervous but looking forward to it!

thanks for all the advice everyone, it's paid off.

wishing you all the best! :smile:
Original post by throwka
update:

i got very lucky, and found a job that were desperate for staff. i'm going to be working in a care home, very nervous but looking forward to it!

That's brill, well done @throwka :biggrin: Good luck, you'll be great!!

Original post by throwka

@throwka
I worked in River Island when I was a student and it really helped with my social anxiety, most interviews are fairly relaxed for student type jobs. I read their history on Wikipedia and made a note of 4 or 5 key things, and also what was on trend at that time and I got in

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 10
Original post by throwka
update:

Well done for finding work (though, even if they were 'desperate' for staff, they took you on because they thought you would be suitable). As you haven't mentioned what you will be doing, I'm assuming that you will have at least some contact with the people living there. Depending on what type of care home it is, you will have the chance to develop amazingly useful social skills (when dealing with staff, who often come from a vast range of backgrounds, and family members of those living in the home). If you feel you are a nervous person and need to encourage yourself a bit, then make notes every now and then on what you have learnt/achieved - this will help your confidence, and any future job applications.
Reply 11
Some great advice above, try not to worry about it too much yet :smile:
Reply 12
update #2

hey all, hope you find this message well.

i quit my job i mentioned previously, i hated it. end of story haha.
i have found a new one and i start tomorrow, excited to start it!

moral of the story, you'll always find something, and it's okay to walk away from a situation.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by throwka
update #2

hey all, hope you find this message well.

i quit my job i mentioned previously, i hated it. end of story haha.
i have found a new one and i start tomorrow, excited to start it!

moral of the story, you'll always find something, and it's okay to walk away from a situation.

How's it going now?

Quick Reply

Latest