The Student Room Group

Top tips for working during studying?

We know it can be challenging to juggle both work and studying so do you have any top tips for working whilst studying? How do you manage your time, energy and motivation?

Those already at University, what's something you wish the first year you knew? :itsme:

- Luke
I work at Maccies if you work in fast food then it saves you having to make a meal (free staff food on break).

Hours wise try not to do too many / do what's right for keeping on top of everything. Initially at the start of the year I was doing x3 shifts per week, now I'm doing x2 shifts per week and it's more manageable now.
As far as you can, prioritise uni before work. If it's necessary for you to have a job at uni then that's fair enough, but if you just want extra money then I'd really recommend you get your degree out of the way first.

Something I wish I knew in first year? Your writing style will seriously improve so don't panic!
Reply 3
I'd advise to go for a casual/part time job, if someone is considering this. My uni recommends working no more than 16 hours a week and I agree with that too because it's important to make time for studies and other things. It's also worth getting a local job rather than something difficult to commute to.
Hey,

Love this thread such a good idea!

I think it's important to not take too much on/ do too many hours one of my friends worked in a pub so always used to return home in the early hours she then had to be up for lectures in the morning which was hard

I would say try and get a job that's flexible. I'm really lucky to be a Student Ambassador at York St John University the job is super flexible and I just sign up as and when I want to work ( I know lots of Universities employ students so I would recommend checking that out)

Other than that I would just say make sure you have enough time to relax and do things you enjoy.

Rebecca :smile:
Hey!

My top tips would be to prioritise uni work. It's never great being short of cash but just remember if you put more time into your university work you will reap the rewards later - it's very easy to begin prioritising work once pay slips start coming in!

Be open with your employer, tell them your workload (inc. time to study!) and let them know you need flexibility. This way you avoid awkwardness later on if you need to reduce your hours coming up to exam season. And also do not let an employer make you feel bad for taking time for your degree - it's your degree that you're paying for!

If you can, book yourself off the occasional weekend. It's important to give yourself time to rest or enjoy the weekend now and then as it can get overwhelming working and studying. This is great especially if you want to go out on the town now and then - you can have a hangover in peace this way too :tongue:

Try and find an employer relative to your degree - this isn't always easy but if it's vaguely close to what your studying it'll be great experience to go towards your degree.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Original post by Chronoscope
I work at Maccies if you work in fast food then it saves you having to make a meal (free staff food on break).

Hours wise try not to do too many / do what's right for keeping on top of everything. Initially at the start of the year I was doing x3 shifts per week, now I'm doing x2 shifts per week and it's more manageable now.

I also worked in a fast food place while at university! I definitely agree it helps getting the free food during the breaks!

-Sam
Original post by Bean_cat
I'd advise to go for a casual/part time job, if someone is considering this. My uni recommends working no more than 16 hours a week and I agree with that too because it's important to make time for studies and other things. It's also worth getting a local job rather than something difficult to commute to.

Absolutely! The last thing you want to be doing is overloading yourself with stress. University can be hard as it is, and if possible students should consider jobs where shifts are flexible too. Not always possible for everyone but definitely a consideration.

-Sam
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey!

My top tips would be to prioritise uni work. It's never great being short of cash but just remember if you put more time into your university work you will reap the rewards later - it's very easy to begin prioritising work once pay slips start coming in!

Be open with your employer, tell them your workload (inc. time to study!) and let them know you need flexibility. This way you avoid awkwardness later on if you need to reduce your hours coming up to exam season. And also do not let an employer make you feel bad for taking time for your degree - it's your degree that you're paying for!

If you can, book yourself off the occasional weekend. It's important to give yourself time to rest or enjoy the weekend now and then as it can get overwhelming working and studying. This is great especially if you want to go out on the town now and then - you can have a hangover in peace this way too :tongue:

Try and find an employer relative to your degree - this isn't always easy but if it's vaguely close to what your studying it'll be great experience to go towards your degree.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Well said, Lauren. We definitely agree! A good work/study/life balance is hard to set but it is important to establish.
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey,

Love this thread such a good idea!

I think it's important to not take too much on/ do too many hours one of my friends worked in a pub so always used to return home in the early hours she then had to be up for lectures in the morning which was hard

I would say try and get a job that's flexible. I'm really lucky to be a Student Ambassador at York St John University the job is super flexible and I just sign up as and when I want to work ( I know lots of Universities employ students so I would recommend checking that out)

Other than that I would just say make sure you have enough time to relax and do things you enjoy.

Rebecca :smile:

Hi Rebecca,

Absolutely! We hire student ambassadors often here at CCCU to help out at events and for other jobs. I did it for a while in my second and third year and it is a fantastic way to be more involved at the university and have an employer that understands your need to study! Its great to be able to opt in for jobs you are able to do and they pay very reasonably.

-Sam
Hey there!

So I worked as a casual shop assistant during my second year at university which was a zero hour contract. This worked pretty well for me as this meant I was able to choose my hours and I wasn't made to work during busy periods such as during exam season. Something casual like this is a perfect job for while at university. I think it is important not to work too much while studying as it is so easy to get used to the money and end up putting work before your degree. An alternative to a zero hour contract could be a weekend job, but personally I would steer away to any job which would require late nights, as this would mess up your sleep schedule. Working one or two days a week would mean that you can earn a bit of money while also stay on top of your uni work and spare time.

I would also recommend looking on handshake for any on-campus jobs at your university. This type of work is amazing as the university are aware of your deadlines and are very understanding if you need to cut your hours one week. I have done lots of work for my university such as working as a student ambassador at my universities open-days, helping with photoshoots for arts students and also taking headshots for staff and students.

I hope this helps!
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Original post by CCCUOfficial
We know it can be challenging to juggle both work and studying so do you have any top tips for working whilst studying? How do you manage your time, energy and motivation?

Those already at University, what's something you wish the first year you knew? :itsme:

- Luke

- Luke

Hello there!

As a university student, I well understand the difficulties of managing employment and academics. It can be difficult, but with certain smart tactics, you can better manage your time, energy, and motivation. I used some tricks to manage my time. First is to create a well-structured timetable that includes time for both job and study. Having a routine will help you focus on certain tasks and minimise unneeded stress. Then you can identify and prioritise the most critical tasks for both work and study. This manner, you can ensure that you prioritise vital obligations.

Use time management methods such as the Pomodoro Technique or time blocking. By dividing work into smaller chunks, these approaches help you stay focused and productive. Be realistic about how much you can accomplish in a day. To avoid feeling overwhelmed, set reasonable goals for both work and study. Maintain open lines of communication with your bosses and teachers. Let them know if you're having a particularly hectic period so they can offer support or understand any potential delays.

As a student was frequently supported by the university. I want you to use study groups, academic advisors, or time management programmes to assist you manage your responsibilities. Allowing oneself time to recharge is critical. Take frequent breaks during work and study sessions, and obtain enough sleep every night.

Keep your study materials and work-related paperwork in order. When you need to search something, this will save you time and stress. Maintaining a positive attitude can have a big impact on your productivity and overall well-being. Celebrate your victories, no matter how minor, and maintain your optimism during difficult circumstances.

Now, here's something I wish I'd known during my first year of university it's critical to strike a balance between academic and social life. Extracurricular activities and genuine connections with peers might improve your university experience. Don't forget to take time for yourself and enjoy the various possibilities available on campus.

Remember that it is acceptable to seek assistance when necessary. University life can be stressful, but asking advice from friends, instructors, or support services can make all the difference.

You can do it! Balancing employment and studies may be difficult, but with perseverance and a positive attitude, you will succeed. Best wishes on your academic career, and remember that I'm available to help if you have any further questions or require advise!

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
I'm be starting my 1st year of uni this year, what's a reccomended number of hours I should dedicate to my job?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm be starting my 1st year of uni this year, what's a reccomended number of hours I should dedicate to my job?

Hey there,

This would depend on the course you are on and how much time you personally want to set aside to study/do assignments. Your free time will also change throughout the year depending on when your exams/deadlines fall.

Personally I worked around 10 hours a week in my first year and then for my second and third it was around 25 hours as the way my lectures fell meant I had more free days and worked on the weekend. I know people who worked a lot more in their first year though as their courses were much more flexible or they only have lectures on 2/3 days of the week leaving them a lot of spare 'full' days.

- LT
Hi everyone,

I love the idea of this thread! When I started uni I had no idea about the work opportunities that were out there!

I work as a Student Ambassador at my university which is a paid role, assisting in events, school visits and many more things! Not only has this fit perfectly around my studies, I've also made some great friends through working and had some good opportunities to develop myself!

When it comes to balancing everything, my main tips are to keep a diary and schedule in all of your deadlines as soon as you get them to stay on track. I also set reminders in my phone so I get a warning a week before things are due! Making sure you always have something to look forward to at the end of each week also helps me to stay motivated!

I hope this helps!

- Rebecca, UCLan

- Luke

Hello everyone,
My top tips would be to prioritize and plan your workload. A planner or diary is key. Spread the assignment work out over time, instead of tackling big amounts at once.
A flexible/ casual job role is great way to balance work and studies. Be honest with your employer and provide dates as soon as possible for things such as placements etc so they have a guide of when your available.
Also take up opportunities that the university offer such as Student Rep role. I have been given the opportunity to do this and it has given me the flexibility for a work/life balance that is required.
Lastly, always find time to do something you enjoy :smile:

Sophie
WrexhamUniReps

- Luke

Nice Question and definitely helpful for new students soon joining universities!
I work as a student ambassador and so far it is going perfectly well. As I am an employee of the university so they understand that the studies are prioritised first and thats why choosing your shift timings are very flexible. Based on all the openings, I can choose the date and time of which I want to work and am free to work on.

It also pays above the minimum wage so also makes a good passive income!

I do have some friends who are doing full time remote jobs and managing timings are definitely harder for them. But they also try to choose their working hours wisely as such it does not clash with their practical/lab timings.

Vyomika (Student Ambassador Lancaster University)
(edited 9 months ago)

- Luke

My top tip for working whilst studying is to look into the job opportunities at your uni. Unis often have a variety of work-study jobs that are flexible to your timetable. This is extremely useful, particularly during the more stressful months when uni work starts to pile up. It's important to find a balance between working, studying and doing things that you enjoy. Balancing work and study life can be challenging but it is important to find ways to keep yourself organised and on top of everything.

Good luck to everyone starting uni in September!
Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending