The Student Room Group

Year 11 currently on Easter Break, terrified for mandarin.

Hi all,

Right now I'm meant to be revising mandarin but I find it completely ineffective.

I practice repetition of the characters, saying the Pinyin as I write it but 5 minutes after writing the character let's say 40 times I can't recall it if I move on to another character.

I often muddle up characters or Pinyin and I sometimes only remember fragments of characters.

My speaking and listening aren't too bad but I feel hopeless at reading and especially writing.

I chose this GCSE because I wanted the challenge, I'm not especially dead set on going to work in a Mandarin speaking country. Would much rather become a doctor here in the UK.

How screwed am I for the summer? Is it too late? Should I even care about doing well in mandarin or should I focus on my 8 other GCSEs?

Thanks,

Conrad
Reply 1
Original post by DrHyde
Hi all,

Right now I'm meant to be revising mandarin but I find it completely ineffective.

I practice repetition of the characters, saying the Pinyin as I write it but 5 minutes after writing the character let's say 40 times I can't recall it if I move on to another character.

I often muddle up characters or Pinyin and I sometimes only remember fragments of characters.

My speaking and listening aren't too bad but I feel hopeless at reading and especially writing.

I chose this GCSE because I wanted the challenge, I'm not especially dead set on going to work in a Mandarin speaking country. Would much rather become a doctor here in the UK.

How screwed am I for the summer? Is it too late? Should I even care about doing well in mandarin or should I focus on my 8 other GCSEs?

Thanks,

Conrad

Hi, I’m doing Spanish! Probably a much easier language but I’ve neglected it for long.

I think our priorities are different as I want to learn the language now and you want to pass your exam. It’s worthwhile to dedicate time to mandarin by possibly focusing on your weaknesses and making flashcards on them and constantly testing yourself.

It’s not too late! I started to focus on Spanish relatively recently and it all depends on how much work you’ve put in. Don’t focus on mandarin at the expense of other subjects though.

Hope this helps.
Original post by DrHyde
Hi all,

Thanks,

Conrad

You could ask to be withdrawn - you don't need a MFL
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
You could ask to be withdrawn - you don't need a MFL

I've thought about it but I'd honestly feel really bad for the teacher. She's really nice and it's only a small class of four of us.

I know I shouldn't let the teacher influence whether I should drop a subject or not but that's the main reason I haven't. Because I'd feel bad for the teacher.

My tutor has also said I've learned mandarin for 2.5 years why stop now. It's a tough situation I suppose
Original post by DrHyde
I've thought about it but I'd honestly feel really bad for the teacher. She's really nice and it's only a small class of four of us.

I know I shouldn't let the teacher influence whether I should drop a subject or not but that's the main reason I haven't. Because I'd feel bad for the teacher.

My tutor has also said I've learned mandarin for 2.5 years why stop now. It's a tough situation I suppose

Does the uni you'd like to go to for Medicine look at GCSE grades? If so, drop it

Quick Reply

Latest