The Student Room Group

Big 4 Tax associate, qualifying soon and unsure of next steps

I currently work for at one of the Big 4 firms in the tax department, outside of London. Mostly focused on corporation tax with a bit of private client work as well.

I've been here long enough to realise that I don't want to stay and do the CTA exams so I have decided I will leave with my ACA qualification and try something new.

Even though I still have 6 months or so left to run on my contract I'm getting a bit stressed at my next step as the range of options is bewildering. At various points I have considered:

- Working holiday visa in Australia/Canada
- Switching to transaction services or corporate finance
- Moving into FP&A in industry
- Using my Irish passport to try and work somewhere in the EU
- Moving to London to satisfy my urge to live someplace new. I went to Uni in the same place I grew up and after having spent 3 years doing my training contract here I'm feeling bored

Ideally i would like my job to be varied (which is why the project based element of TS/CF appealed) as I am getting very sick of the tax compliance cycle.

I hardly know what I want myself so not expecting much in the way of advice, more just wanted to start a general discussion. If you're an accountant, what has been your career path - did you switch roles, work abroad etc?
All seem like great ideas to me! I've done some of them myself (but long enough ago that the world has changed a lot).

Perhaps hunt through linkedin and find a load of people who qualified in tax in the last few years and see what they have gone on to do for some inspiration?

The guy who was my day to day contact for tax left the profession and became a data analyst which sounded pretty interesting.
Reply 2
Original post by confusedabouttax
I currently work for at one of the Big 4 firms in the tax department, outside of London. Mostly focused on corporation tax with a bit of private client work as well.

I've been here long enough to realise that I don't want to stay and do the CTA exams so I have decided I will leave with my ACA qualification and try something new.

Even though I still have 6 months or so left to run on my contract I'm getting a bit stressed at my next step as the range of options is bewildering. At various points I have considered:

- Working holiday visa in Australia/Canada
- Switching to transaction services or corporate finance
- Moving into FP&A in industry
- Using my Irish passport to try and work somewhere in the EU
- Moving to London to satisfy my urge to live someplace new. I went to Uni in the same place I grew up and after having spent 3 years doing my training contract here I'm feeling bored

Ideally i would like my job to be varied (which is why the project based element of TS/CF appealed) as I am getting very sick of the tax compliance cycle.

I hardly know what I want myself so not expecting much in the way of advice, more just wanted to start a general discussion. If you're an accountant, what has been your career path - did you switch roles, work abroad etc?

Hey, would you mind sharing some tips on how to pass the aca exams? About to start my contract so just wondering if you could give me some advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending