The Student Room Group

Step parent income affecting my loan

I’m studying an integrated masters degree and enter my fourth year in September. The entirety of my time at university so far has been funded by the full maintenance grant as well as additional bursaries. For this time I’ve lived in a single parent household with my mum who cannot afford to pay for me at uni. My mum recently got married and my step dads income is well over the threshold for receiving the full loan. I have to reapply for student finance soon and I am unsure as to whether they will include his income when calculating my loan. He does not live with us or support us financially as he has his own children and bills. I do not expect any contribution from him as we do not have that sort of relationship. Without this loan I will not be supported financially as he has his own children and my mum doesn’t earn enough. Do I need to declare that they are married and what effect will this have on my finances?
Original post by Lil2001
I’m studying an integrated masters degree and enter my fourth year in September. The entirety of my time at university so far has been funded by the full maintenance grant as well as additional bursaries. For this time I’ve lived in a single parent household with my mum who cannot afford to pay for me at uni. My mum recently got married and my step dads income is well over the threshold for receiving the full loan. I have to reapply for student finance soon and I am unsure as to whether they will include his income when calculating my loan. He does not live with us or support us financially as he has his own children and bills. I do not expect any contribution from him as we do not have that sort of relationship. Without this loan I will not be supported financially as he has his own children and my mum doesn’t earn enough. Do I need to declare that they are married and what effect will this have on my finances?

Unfortunately, you will need to declare his income to SFE and this will affect how much student loan you will recieve.
Original post by Lil2001

Household income from the 2021-22 tax year is taken into consideration for the 2023-24 academic year, so if the marriage is recent, it shouldn't affect your student finance.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Household income from the 2021-22 tax year is taken into consideration for the 2023-24 academic year, so if the marriage is recent, it shouldn't affect your student finance.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

If he has never lived with me and they are only recently married (3 weeks ago), will it take into account his earnings for the tax year 2021-22 too? He was not part of my household then and still doesn’t live with us
Original post by Lil2001
If he has never lived with me and they are only recently married (3 weeks ago), will it take into account his earnings for the tax year 2021-22 too? He was not part of my household then and still doesn’t live with us

If he wasn't part of your household in that tax season then it won't affect your household income, so you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending