The Student Room Group

Inspector calls

Could someone please help me I don’t know what to write for context like If I say a quote eg; “A man has to mind his own business and look after himself and his own” and explain it like, this emphasises that mr birling is a greedy capitalist who cares about himself and no one else, he thinks you should worry about anyone such as Eva smith as she is part of the lower clas by only focus on ur self and family. He is also so corrupt as an individual he doesn’t care about people. OK so now after I have analysed it what should I do like arnt u meant to add context but idk how to and what to say. SOMEONE PLS HELPP
Original post by Privvzay
Could someone please help me I don’t know what to write for context like If I say a quote eg; “A man has to mind his own business and look after himself and his own” and explain it like, this emphasises that mr birling is a greedy capitalist who cares about himself and no one else, he thinks you should worry about anyone such as Eva smith as she is part of the lower clas by only focus on ur self and family. He is also so corrupt as an individual he doesn’t care about people. OK so now after I have analysed it what should I do like arnt u meant to add context but idk how to and what to say. SOMEONE PLS HELPP

you could add that this shows how workers were treated and how business owners acted when the play was set in 1912
Original post by Privvzay

I think that a good way to add context is by keeping a bullet pointed simple structure and expand on it. Personally, I think you are mixing up your explanation with analysis which makes it very unconcise.

Here is how I would go about it:
1. Clear point that focuses on your main idea in your paragraph.
e.g. Priestley highlights that the older generation (in this case Mr Birling) has a lack of social responsibility.
2. Add in your quote to support: This is expressed by Mr Birling's comment at the dinner party in Act 1 that 'a man has to mind his own business and look after himself and his own'
3. Unpick the quote!! (this means to select words that you can EXPLAIN the technique and the effect it has.- this is where you can embed the context and analysis)
e.g. The emphasis of the pronoun 'his' indicates that Mr Birling believes that in order to survive in society you must be at the centre of it and there is no need to look after care about others as that hinder (then add your context here) THE CAPTIALISTIC VIEW that Mr Birling has that society relies on profit and wellbeing of the upper class WHO BENEFITTED IN EXPLOTING THE WORKING CLASS LIKE EVA SMITH (you can add additional bits of evidence to back up you point). As she wanted her wages to be increased at 25 shillings from 22.5 shillings - (eric mentions this in act 1) and was fired from fighting for what she believed in as in 1912 a women's opinion was never consider as in the Edwardian Era society favoured men.

I know that my explanation is long but you should make sure that the context flows through the explanation like this.
You can link these simple phrases with connectives and words such as 'this is furthered by...'

I hope this helps!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending