The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Facilities of Durham Colleges

Looking for a good comparison of facilities, indoor and outdoor, between the colleges. My perception is that Bailey colleges are smaller/older and more spread out. If so does this reflect in the facilities provided ?
- Libraries
- Smaller exercise rooms eg. yoga
- Some colleges seem to have boathouses - does this mean other colleges don't have access?
Also part time work is available at any colleges? Such as in the libraries? Thank you!
Original post by VRSVRS
Looking for a good comparison of facilities, indoor and outdoor, between the colleges. My perception is that Bailey colleges are smaller/older and more spread out. If so does this reflect in the facilities provided ?
- Libraries
- Some colleges seem to have boathouses - does this mean other colleges don't have access?
Also part time work is available at any colleges? Such as in the libraries? Thank you!

I would advise looking at the websites for the colleges to get more information on the facilities provided. Bailey colleges are older colleges, but their facilities aren't necessarily old, Hatfield has a relatively modern block of accommodation in their actual college and a newish bar.
I know that the newer Hill colleges, i.e. John Snow and South College, don't actually have a library, but they have some kind of a study place. Colleges do offer part-time work and some offer it in their libraries, but you would need to be a Durham student and log into the careers portal to see if and when there are any vacancies.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by VRSVRS
- Libraries

As a first year in John snow college I can tell you a little about my experience on the hill. John snow is one of the newly built buildings so it’s a lot more modern and bigger than Bailey colleges. We don’t have a library or study space but a lot of the time people use the igloo bar area to do their work because it’s an open space with desks/tables (a lot of the time I do group work in there). Other times, my flatmates and I work in the business school because it’s literally next to John snow. The Hub is where all our facilities are and we share it with South college. There’s a very modern gym and a dance studio as well as a yoga studio. It also has all the music practice rooms and a multi faith room. Because we aren’t near the river we don’t have a boat house but JS does have a rowing team. There are also lots of opportunities to work in college. You can work at the bar however I’m not sure how much they pay. If you have anymore questions lmk
Reply 3
Hi. My DD is at St John’s, on the Bailey. It is a small college, but their facilities are really good. There is a brand new college library which is bigger and brighter than most of the other Bailey library facilities apparently. They have a small but decent gym, and a boathouse, and a nice cellar bar and common room. Their gardens are lovely, with places to sit outside. The laundry facilities are decent and free to use, and formals are free (apart from occasional ‘mega formals’ which cost £5).

Quick Reply

Latest