The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham college choice

Hi, I'm moving over from Ireland in September to do a PGCE history in Durham. I've got the email about choosing a college but not sure what to do. I'll not be living in any of the colleges as I already have a place to live in Newcastle. So does it really matter what college I choose or will I just let them randomly assign me one? The main factors in choosing a college seem to be location for people living in them but it doesn't really matter to me.
Any advice would be great!
it’s interesting to read similar posts last year
Durham expanded - arguably too much and too quickly to preserve the former
collegiate structure
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by RachelLest
Hi, I'm moving over from Ireland in September to do a PGCE history in Durham. I've got the email about choosing a college but not sure what to do. I'll not be living in any of the colleges as I already have a place to live in Newcastle. So does it really matter what college I choose or will I just let them randomly assign me one? The main factors in choosing a college seem to be location for people living in them but it doesn't really matter to me.
Any advice would be great!

Hi Rachel! Being a part of a college is integral to your experience at Durham University, even though you will not live in college. Colleges are always having fun parties and events for their members and also have facilities you can use like the bar, gym, computer rooms, and study spaces.
Reply 3
Original post by username6135883
I’ve been *punished* with trevs, and am now considering withdrawing my offer.
No matter what you rank as your favourite. They don’t care: I am furious and miserable. They randomly assign the one to make you hate existing mosr

It's not a punishment; it's random luck. Most people end up really liking whatever college they are given because it becomes "their place". Why not try an open mind towards it? There will be positives about being at Trevs (supposed to be very friendly, for example).

I'm not sure how it would be better at any other university either; random set of people allocated to flats and you may or may not get on with them.

Quick Reply

Latest