The Student Room Group

Music and problems<3

So like, I need people to criticise my song lyrics I want to know if i should pursue my music career, I'm also here to like talk about problems in life with all of you, you can tell me your problems i probably might might not i don't know yet, But yea.
Reply 1
Original post by V0ID
So like, I need people to criticise my song lyrics I want to know if i should pursue my music career, I'm also here to like talk about problems in life with all of you, you can tell me your problems i probably might might not i don't know yet, But yea.

It's fine if y'all don't do it but Id like to ask you to take a look at my song? If that doesn't work I can just send it to you guys
You can PM me your lyrics if you want :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kaorimiyazono
You can PM me your lyrics if you want :smile:

I'm new here and I can't PM anyone yet, I haven't verified my email, I'm using a school computer rn, but my song might be on my profile, maybe. If not i can send it here
Original post by V0ID
I'm new here and I can't PM anyone yet, I haven't verified my email, I'm using a school computer rn, but my song might be on my profile, maybe. If not i can send it here

Good. Quite dark, but good. You'd need a good piece of music to go with the lyrics - I often think it's the music rather than the lyrics that makes the song catchy/great
Original post by V0ID

Ohh right. Where on your profile can I find your song lyrics?
Reply 6
Lol, yeah, I guess I wrote that song one night when I was really mad, life has just been going downward for me, and I wanted to express how i felt without expressing how i felt lol,
Reply 7

Uh, I think it's in my album thingy, i put it public,
Reply 8
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Good. Quite dark, but good. You'd need a good piece of music to go with the lyrics - I often think it's the music rather than the lyrics that makes the song catchy/great

Thanks, really, I wrote it whe i was mad at the world, and i couldn't express my feelings directly.
Reply 9

Or in my pictures, I really don't know
Original post by V0ID

Yeah I found it under albums
Reply 11
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Yeah I found it under albums

Lol, i feel so like new to this thing, i did make another song, but I'm honestly not sure if I should post it, because i am not confident in it.
Original post by V0ID

Ohh I found them. Have you got the music and melody written too? The lyrics are ok. A little bit dark but interesting. I feel like it will be the music that will make or break it. Sorry in advance for a massively long post. Here are some notes:

The Game Is Mine.
You poured gasoline down my face just to watch it burn..
Despite the fame of Nike's "Just do it" slogan, it's better to avoid using the word "just" in your writing as it makes it sound a bit meh. You could just (ikik - ironic haha) use "and watched it burn" instead. Consider the word "down". It's makes the line a bit clunky due to the consonant. "On" would help with the flow. And the literal imagery of setting your face on fire is quite gruesome. Is this the effect you want? Did this person hurt you physically and violently or would you prefer the imagery of emotional pain such as with the words "heart" or "soul" instead.
No matter what i do i get caught in your stupid curse..
Could you find a more interesting word than "stupid"?
But this is the final straw
cause I've finally won it all
Because the game is mine
How will you survive the night?
My mind is a prison that will eat you alive
How will you survive the night(the night)
I can't leave you alone
"Can't" implies that you are not able to. But I feel like the speaker is showing rage and carrying out very deliberate revenge so maybe "won't," "refuse to," "I'll never," or "I will not" would fit better.
Ill follow you wherever you go
Don't even try to hide
Cause tonight,( tonight , tonight)
The game is mine
Soon you'll feel the pain I felt
Ill have no sympathy at all
I stab you with my words
Cause that's what made me fall
I like the previous two lines cuz they fit in with the theme of "my mind is a prison that will eat you alive" - it shows more of an emotional manipulation/torture game rather than physical violence (which is part of why I asked about the face thing in the very first line)

I hope that was helpful :smile:

In terms of pursuing a music career, from one music lover who constantly questions this to another, even amazing songwriters sometimes fall through the cracks of this very saturated and unstable industry. Now, I am absolutely not saying that you shouldn't pursue a music career, all I'm saying is that from these lyrics to becoming an established musician, you've got a long way to go so you've got to keep this in mind. I don't know how old you are but age doesn't matter. You'll need to put in a lot of work to constantly improve. Nowadays, it's not enough to just be a good singer who can write nice lyrics/songs. Your best shot at getting into the music industry is to:

1. Perfect your singing skills and find your unique voice - get a vocal coach. Even established singers keep improving their vocals.
2. Be a good songwriter - practice practice practice!! I love writing lyrics when I'm bored/procrastinating or when I need to process emotions and can't without writing them down somehow so it's becoming easier to write song lyrics on command and they're definitely improving.
3. Be able to accompany yourself with piano and/or guitar. So you can start doing gigs and posting covers without the need for musicians to back you up.
4. Have a strong music theory and composition background - music GCSE and A-Level are a good start, same with the ABRSM music theory exams. If you're really serious about starting a music career, a music degree (making sure the course includes music technology) is a must. This is essential for being able to write good chord progressions, harmony, melodies etc. This comes more naturally for some people than others e.g. if you can play an instrument already.
5. Be able to produce your own music - labels are looking for more than just someone who sings their own (amazing) songs really well with guitar/piano accompaniment, they want to hear tracks you've made using software where you can add in instruments you don't play yourself e.g. strings, synths, percussion and that you can mix them. If you have friends who like doing this sort of thing you can ask them for help. There are probably tons of online courses and a wide variety of apps that you can use to start learning and practising.
6. Promote yourself - social media means that it's easier than ever to become viral and start getting new listeners. So start posting covers and snippets of your own songs and take any constructive criticism to heart and us it for motivation to keep improving.
7. Persevere - becoming a musician is really difficult, but if it can be really rewarding if it's what you love. So keep practicing and improving your vocals, composition and music production and performance and you will get better.
8. Be realistic - this can always be a hobby. Sometimes keeping it as a hobby is better as it keeps it fun and less "I need this to work to pay the bills." Think about how you're going to provide yourself a stable income so you can support yourself.

Overall, it's hard but not impossible. Also, a successful music career doesn't necessarily mean that you become a super rich super famous singer who sells out stadiums. A successful music career can just mean that you've reached a point where music can provide you a stable income. This is more achievable.

But yeah. Keep working hard and never give up. Me personally, I'm doing a biochemistry degree. As a hobby I write songs, play violin, and am self-teaching guitar and piano. I'm planning on pursuing a career in science, but I've decided that I'm gonna use music as a side-job type thing. Posting covers and releasing songs for fun (once I'm satisfied with my level of skill haha which will hopefully be soon - I just need to get through exams first). That's enough for me. So think about what exactly you want to achieve.
Reply 13
Wow, I uhm, haven't had anyone give me that much advice. I can't even express how happy I am to hear all of that! Uhm anyways I don't think I could afford a vocal coach,. And I haven't written a melody yet. But I've really been thinking of how I'd want it to sound. That's really helpful advice and this song Is a little inbetween emotional pain I guess. "You poured the gasoline down my face" Is kinda like a term to show like how much it was hurting.
Original post by V0ID
Wow, I uhm, haven't had anyone give me that much advice. I can't even express how happy I am to hear all of that! Uhm anyways I don't think I could afford a vocal coach,. And I haven't written a melody yet. But I've really been thinking of how I'd want it to sound. That's really helpful advice and this song Is a little inbetween emotional pain I guess. "You poured the gasoline down my face" Is kinda like a term to show like how much it was hurting.

Np :smile: Definitely write melody and chords to it. Being a good songwriter and a good performer is all about practice. The more you do it the better you'll become.
Reply 15
Np :smile: Definitely write melody and chords to it. Being a good songwriter and a good performer is all about practice. The more you do it the better you'll become.

I'm gonna make some changes to the songs then send it to you again. I'm not positive how id do the melody because I don't play instruments really so..
Reply 16
Ohh I found them. Have you got the music and melody written too? The lyrics are ok. A little bit dark but interesting. I feel like it will be the music that will make or break it. Sorry in advance for a massively long post. Here are some notes:

The Game Is Mine.
You poured gasoline down my face just to watch it burn..
Despite the fame of Nike's "Just do it" slogan, it's better to avoid using the word "just" in your writing as it makes it sound a bit meh. You could just (ikik - ironic haha) use "and watched it burn" instead. Consider the word "down". It's makes the line a bit clunky due to the consonant. "On" would help with the flow. And the literal imagery of setting your face on fire is quite gruesome. Is this the effect you want? Did this person hurt you physically and violently or would you prefer the imagery of emotional pain such as with the words "heart" or "soul" instead.
Could you find a more interesting word than "stupid"?
Because the game is mine
I can't leave you alone
"Can't" implies that you are not able to. But I feel like the speaker is showing rage and carrying out very deliberate revenge so maybe "won't," "refuse to," "I'll never," or "I will not" would fit better.
Don't even try to hide
The game is mine
I stab you with my words
Cause that's what made me fall
I like the previous two lines cuz they fit in with the theme of "my mind is a prison that will eat you alive" - it shows more of an emotional manipulation/torture game rather than physical violence (which is part of why I asked about the face thing in the very first line)

I hope that was helpful :smile:

In terms of pursuing a music career, from one music lover who constantly questions this to another, even amazing songwriters sometimes fall through the cracks of this very saturated and unstable industry. Now, I am absolutely not saying that you shouldn't pursue a music career, all I'm saying is that from these lyrics to becoming an established musician, you've got a long way to go so you've got to keep this in mind. I don't know how old you are but age doesn't matter. You'll need to put in a lot of work to constantly improve. Nowadays, it's not enough to just be a good singer who can write nice lyrics/songs. Your best shot at getting into the music industry is to:

1. Perfect your singing skills and find your unique voice - get a vocal coach. Even established singers keep improving their vocals.
2. Be a good songwriter - practice practice practice!! I love writing lyrics when I'm bored/procrastinating or when I need to process emotions and can't without writing them down somehow so it's becoming easier to write song lyrics on command and they're definitely improving.
3. Be able to accompany yourself with piano and/or guitar. So you can start doing gigs and posting covers without the need for musicians to back you up.
4. Have a strong music theory and composition background - music GCSE and A-Level are a good start, same with the ABRSM music theory exams. If you're really serious about starting a music career, a music degree (making sure the course includes music technology) is a must. This is essential for being able to write good chord progressions, harmony, melodies etc. This comes more naturally for some people than others e.g. if you can play an instrument already.
5. Be able to produce your own music - labels are looking for more than just someone who sings their own (amazing) songs really well with guitar/piano accompaniment, they want to hear tracks you've made using software where you can add in instruments you don't play yourself e.g. strings, synths, percussion and that you can mix them. If you have friends who like doing this sort of thing you can ask them for help. There are probably tons of online courses and a wide variety of apps that you can use to start learning and practising.
6. Promote yourself - social media means that it's easier than ever to become viral and start getting new listeners. So start posting covers and snippets of your own songs and take any constructive criticism to heart and us it for motivation to keep improving.
7. Persevere - becoming a musician is really difficult, but if it can be really rewarding if it's what you love. So keep practicing and improving your vocals, composition and music production and performance and you will get better.
8. Be realistic - this can always be a hobby. Sometimes keeping it as a hobby is better as it keeps it fun and less "I need this to work to pay the bills." Think about how you're going to provide yourself a stable income so you can support yourself.

Overall, it's hard but not impossible. Also, a successful music career doesn't necessarily mean that you become a super rich super famous singer who sells out stadiums. A successful music career can just mean that you've reached a point where music can provide you a stable income. This is more achievable.

But yeah. Keep working hard and never give up. Me personally, I'm doing a biochemistry degree. As a hobby I write songs, play violin, and am self-teaching guitar and piano. I'm planning on pursuing a career in science, but I've decided that I'm gonna use music as a side-job type thing. Posting covers and releasing songs for fun (once I'm satisfied with my level of skill haha which will hopefully be soon - I just need to get through exams first). That's enough for me. So think about what exactly you want to achieve.

The Game Is Mine.
You poured gasoline down my face so you could watch it burn..
Because tonight the game is mine
I won't leave you alone
Don't even try to hide
The game is mine
I stab you with my words
Cause that's what made me fall first

Don't even try to apologize cause tonight,( tonight
Tonight)
The Game is mine
How will you survive the night
This cell is especially made for you
And there's nothing you can do
How will you survive the night(The night, the night)
Cause the game is mide
I've finally taken control
I've almost won it all
Cause tonight(tonight, tonight)
The Game
Became
Mine
( So I'm sorta thinking that like the melody goes something like Bum..Bum..Bum..Bum Repeatedly but like I'm hoping I could find a guitarist someone that can play the drums, and im not sure what else. I need a little help with the melody.)

Quick Reply

Latest