The Student Room Group

Pgce or scitt?

Would it be better to do a pgce or a school centred initial teacher training course? Both with qts. Stuck on which to do, which would give me more chance of a job at the end of it?
Thanks
Original post by Lucylou3015
Would it be better to do a pgce or a school centred initial teacher training course? Both with qts. Stuck on which to do, which would give me more chance of a job at the end of it?
Thanks

I would suggest the uni-led PGCE. SCiTTs seem to vary a lot and some are so focused on a particular school that you might feel your experience is limited.
Dear Lucylou3015,

Finding the right training route depends on your personal circumstances and what you hope to achieve from the course. In terms of PGCE vs SCITT, this comes down to your personal preference. Both will provide you with Qualified Teacher Status.
Have you considered speaking to an Explore Teaching Adviser? We are able to help answer your questions surrounding teacher training and the different ways in which you can train to teach. We offer free personal and impartial advice to anyone who is considering teaching as a potential career choice and would be able to support you through the process.
Please use the link below in order to get your own adviser.

https://adviser-getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Best wishes,
Jennifer
Original post by Lucylou3015
so(Original post by Lucylou3015)Would it be better to do a pgce or a school centred initial teacher training course? Both with qts. Stuck on which to do, which would give me more chance of a job at the end of it?
Thanks

Sometimes SCITT courses include a PGCE - not all of them though, so it's important to check the course details. Some of them have it as an optional add-on, and some don't offer the option at all (only QTS).

If you have a lot of experience in schools, and want to spend most of your time being school-based, I would say go for a SCITT.

If, however, you're a fresh graduate with limited experience of working in schools, I'd say the university-led PGCE is better. It's a softer start and more similar in structure to an undergrad.

Both of them are great options for employment afterwards, assuming you have a good course provider and they give you a good level of support to complete your course. However, I would say it's good to have the PGCE rather than just QTS if you want to make a career of teaching, or if you are considering further study in the future (like a Masters, for example).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending