The Student Room Group

English

For English Language AQA how do I pick out key point that will get me marks. What do I need to look for in the extract that will get me marks. I want to get a 6 in English Language so I would need to use ambitious vocabulary how would I do that? For the creative writing my mind goes blank when I get to that section how do I think of something good to write I usually go for the picture option?
Its not necessarily about containing ambitious vocabulary, instead its how you use language. When you're reading the extract in the summer, you should be in a place where you can skim through the piece and can identify structural and language devices with ease. Then furthermore, why each detail of a text is put together with significance.

To get to this point, you must test yourself and walk though past papers. Focus on a paragraph and simply break apart what it is in words. For example, say you're questioned on the weather in an extract - you'd consider use of syntax, descriptions, dialogue. Then you'll reveal why and how through the identification of writer's ideas and techniques. For example, what impressions, themes, emotions, feelings, tone or interpretations are portrayed from even a mere noun.

It's really important you have a thorough grasp of how language is used in different media so I strongly suggest you begin reading a variations of texts from modern day prose to 19th c poetry. This will also grow you contextual knowledge (that will interlink with literature as well) and is commonly a cause for comparison due to differing viewpoints of the eras of the two sources. The more you challenge your understanding right now, the easier the exam will be. This will come as great help for the question 5s on both papers for: a) you'll have a more diverse vocab, b) you'll also be able to replicate different genre texts, c)you'll have a greater imagination and will be able to replicate said ideas in your own writing style d) its overall extremely crucial to be proficient in language, if you want to improve your grades. This will imply for all but MFL exams (obviously).

If this does not help strike your imagination, I recommend mind mapping a great variation of possible story questions and then plan these. It's important to stress that the examiners are not asking specifically for a literary masterpiece, instead to test whether you can use techniques and devices accurately. To achieve this you must be able to understand what they are and how you use them. The more you practice this in the different style possibilities, the more naturally it will occur in the hall.

Here's a link of devices if of any use:

Personally I believe you should not opt for the description as the writing possibilities are far more minimal than an open story. Even if your mind goes blank in the hall, trust me when I say its far more easier to write the opening of a story for 40 odd minutes that can go anywhere rather than describing a photo - it really does have the tendency to stop candidates in their tracks and waste time. Do not complicate the story, focus on what devices and techniques you're putting in - do not waffle!

I recommend you try watching yt videos on mr.salles, mr bruff and mr everything english for step to step tutorials on structuring exam questions for that would take me an age to try and half decently explain ( sorry im not much of a teacher).

Finally, study the mark schemes!! They can appear as utter drivel sometimes - so maybe ask your teacher to walk you through them. I believe this is really crucial for I cannot stress how many people mess up their exams simply by incorrectly reading the Q. The mark scheme simply acts as the literal rough guideline on how exactly to gain a desirable grade.

If you have any more questions, on English or on any over subject, feel free to ask. If not, good luck in your exams, as long as you prepare yourself, a grade 6 is totally obtainable! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending