The Student Room Group

What to do when Pupillage doesn’t work out

This is my fourth time applying for pupillage - if I don’t get it this year then I’m calling it a day.

But careers advice for those who have a BPTC/BPC and have given up on pupillage is so thin on the ground! I find it crazy that given the numbers of applicants and the limited number of pupillages, I can’t find any advice online for what to consider careers-wise if you give up on pupillage. Please don’t say “keep trying” - it’s a numbers game and the numbers can’t fall in everyone’s favour.

Would love to read stories of what people have done after dedicating their life to getting pupillage for so long. Anyone know any good tweets/pages etc to look at?
I don't know any resources, but can give you some indication based on people I've known over the years who have decided not to pursue pupillage after doing the bar course and, in most cases, trying for a few years. Many (probably the majority I know) have ended up staying in the legal industry, but through solicitors' firms one way or the other. Some became solicitors, some rose through the ranks in in house advocacy teams. They pursued a variety of different options and career paths. At least a couple worked abroad for a time, though I don't know precisely how those opportunities arose. I then know a couple who ended up pursuing freelance advocacy more vigorously, one of whom started his own agency, but I think that was relatively short lived. I know a few who went into teaching law, but again I don't know the exact career path. I know several who have gone into different industries entirely.

The problem with highlighting defined options after doing the bar course and then opting not to continue to pursue pupillage is that the bar course itself is not a readily transferable qualification. Most in industries outside of the law don't even know what it really is, and your CV in the years since you did the bar course will have been geared towards pupillage. My impression is that as a result of that the opportunities you have may well be shaped by what you've done since, both in terms of the experience you've gained and the connections you've made or awareness you've developed of other paths. However, it may be that others who have gone through this more recently can give more examples.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I don't know any resources, but can give you some indication based on people I've known over the years who have decided not to pursue pupillage after doing the bar course and, in most cases, trying for a few years. Many (probably the majority I know) have ended up staying in the legal industry, but through solicitors' firms one way or the other. Some became solicitors, some rose through the ranks in in house advocacy teams. They pursued a variety of different options and career paths. At least a couple worked abroad for a time, though I don't know precisely how those opportunities arose. I then know a couple who ended up pursuing freelance advocacy more vigorously, one of whom started his own agency, but I think that was relatively short lived. I know a few who went into teaching law, but again I don't know the exact career path. I know several who have gone into different industries entirely.

The problem with highlighting defined options after doing the bar course and then opting not to continue to pursue pupillage is that the bar course itself is not a readily transferable qualification. Most in industries outside of the law don't even know what it really is, and your CV in the years since you did the bar course will have been geared towards pupillage. My impression is that as a result of that the opportunities you have may well be shaped by what you've done since, both in terms of the experience you've gained and the connections you've made or awareness you've developed of other paths. However, it may be that others who have gone through this more recently can give more examples.

This is really helpful, thank you
Reply 3
Politics?
Reply 4
Original post by Crazy Jamie

would you mind if I private message you about this?
Original post by mlscaw
would you mind if I private message you about this?

Not at all. I'm happy for anyone to PM me on here if they want to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending