The Student Room Group

Is woodhouse college or LAE tottenham better for some subjects?

I recieved conditional offers for both schools. My choices are biology chemistry maths and psychology. Which of the two sixth forms would be the better option for my subjects? I would also like to know if it is more worth in general to go to either of the sixth forms
Reply 1
LAE, particularly for stem
Original post by catss
LAE, particularly for stem

is LAE much better or slightly better for stem. I'm on the fence between the two as woodhouse is a 30 minute commute whereas LAE is an hour. Would it be a better choice to double the commute time for the education in LAE?
Reply 3
It depends what you want from college, you will do well anywhere if you work hard. I attended LAE tottenahm because I felt the teachers were much better and I really felt that they were although it’s more intense and arguably harder. Because of that social life at lae is considerably worse compared to woodhouse. No one can decide what’s better it’s all subjective. Visit them both and decide.
Original post by L7fred
It depends what you want from college, you will do well anywhere if you work hard. I attended LAE tottenahm because I felt the teachers were much better and I really felt that they were although it’s more intense and arguably harder. Because of that social life at lae is considerably worse compared to woodhouse. No one can decide what’s better it’s all subjective. Visit them both and decide.

I missed the open day for woodhouse but I went to the LAE open day and I do like LAE. Thing is though I would have to travel a little over an hour just to get to LAE whereas 30 minutes to woodhouse. what opinion would you give if this was the case for you?
Reply 5
Original post by asiandude123
is LAE much better or slightly better for stem. I'm on the fence between the two as woodhouse is a 30 minute commute whereas LAE is an hour. Would it be a better choice to double the commute time for the education in LAE?

oh man if it’s double the time to get to lae go woodhouse, however i do think lae is significantly stronger. i chose a school further away because it’s better and honestly it wasn’t worth it, you’ll learn the same content regardless. on top of what the other guy said yeah there is a lot of pressure at lae, ik sixth form isn’t rly about the social life but you don’t wanna be studying with a bunch of pretentious idiots like i am. i vote woodhouse :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
From what I'm aware of both schools are high quality for your subjects but I'll give you my personal experience. I was accepted into LAET, attended for about 2 weeks, then dropped out and moved to a different school. LAET is stricter, has uniform, less freedom in timetabling and Woodhouse is the opposite. LAET might sound bad from what I'm saying but LAET will hence be more disciplined than Woodhouse in helping you achieve top grades whereas Woodhouse gives you the independence to excel. Both are high achieving schools that give students excellent opportunities through their connections and partners. Both schools are also eligible for contextual offers. The main difference is Woodhouse is more independent, LAET is more disciplined. So whilst one student may excel in Woodhouse, they may do terribly at LAET and the opposite can be true too. One thing I don't know is how good either pastoral system is but I there is a department students can speak to. Clubs and societies are relatively similar between both schools but LAET likely has more as being part of a club is a requirement at LAET. Woodhouse has one form group session a week bur LAET has one every day (I believe?). Also almost all schools have at least on bad teacher even the good schools, so take it upon yourself to get high grades.

About travel, depending on how you use your time travel can be an inconvenience or a real boost to your grades. At my current school I take two trains so I spend a lot of my time waiting and doing not much but listening to music or being loosely engaged with revision. If I was on a direct bus to Woodhouse, I could have my own space to revise very effectively even though it'd be a total 2 hours journey. At my current school I travel for about 1hour 40 a day.

Also you may want to get Uplearn as they offer all of your subjects on there. It's a revision site where content is taught. If you have circumstances (like you're a free school meals student) they'll give you access to all your subjects for free.

For reference I currently study chemistry, biology, maths and psychology at an independent school on a scholarship basis. I'll be transferring to Woodhouse for Y13 and dropping chemistry as I can't keep paying for travel and loads of other reasons.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now. Lmk if you have any questions and I seriously hope the best for you. Make the most of sixth form!
Reply 7
btw i mean 2 hours for a a day, not a single journey there.
Reply 8
Original post by asiandude123
I recieved conditional offers for both schools. My choices are biology chemistry maths and psychology. Which of the two sixth forms would be the better option for my subjects? I would also like to know if it is more worth in general to go to either of the sixth forms

What were your predicted grades?

Quick Reply

Latest