The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

What's the policy for John moores on handing in an essay 4 hours past deadline? i

so i handed in an essay the other night 4 hours past the deadline and idk what the ljmu policy is? is there something I need to do?
Original post by krispyunicorn
so i handed in an essay the other night 4 hours past the deadline and idk what the ljmu policy is? is there something I need to do?

According to the "2022/23 Academic Framework Regulations for Undergraduate Programmes", here:

"UG.C2.3 Coursework, which is submitted late (except where there is an agreed extension) will be recorded as a non-submission."

There are other regulations which might apply. For example:

"UG.C4.2 Where illness or other verifiable cause will prevent a student from completing an assessment, s/he should contact the Module Leader as soon as possible. The Module Leader may, on receipt of appropriate evidence, agree one or more of the actions listed below.
(i) extend an assessment deadline;
(ii) set an alternative assessment, provided the alternative task meets the learning outcomes of the original assessment task. The decision to set an alternative assessment must be agreed no later than one week in advance of the original assessment item deadline; recorded and reported by the Module Leader to the Board of Examiners.
(iii) consult with the Programme Leader who may waive an assessment item provided the marks allocated to such items constitute in total no more than 34% of the module mark. All assessment waivers must be recorded and reported by the Programme Leader to the Board of Examiners."

There also rules relating to "an application for personal circumstances where serious and exceptional factors outside a student’s control" :

"UG.C4.3.2 Personal Circumstances requests may normally only be made no later than five working days after the affected assessment event. This is to enable appropriate consideration by the Faculty Approval Panel in a timely manner and to ensure that the criteria for progression are applied consistently and fairly to all students"

"UG.C4.8 A student may be unable to make a personal circumstances or special mitigation application within the five working days’ time frame. All applications made after this deadline are deemed to be late. Late applications must be submitted with a justification for the inability of the student to submit within the established timeframe."

"UG.C4.9 The Personal Circumstances Panel will determine whether the justification for late submission is valid or not. If the reason for late submission is accepted as valid, then the standard personal circumstances/special mitigation process will apply. Where the Personal Circumstances Panel does not accept the justification for late submission this ends consideration of the application."

My reading of the above is that late submissions are treated the same a non-submissions (and will therefore be scored at 0%). However, if there are compelling reasons to justify why you were late, then you have 5 days to submit a "special mitigation application".

There is a "Personal Circumstances Form Non attempt at Assessment" form here but I would strongly advise that you heed this advice which it contains:

"In the first instance, students are advised to contact their tutor, their local study support team, or another appropriate academic member of staff for advice."

Good luck!
Liverpool
Original post by DataVenia
According to the "2022/23 Academic Framework Regulations for Undergraduate Programmes", here:

"UG.C2.3 Coursework, which is submitted late (except where there is an agreed extension) will be recorded as a non-submission."

There are other regulations which might apply. For example:

"UG.C4.2 Where illness or other verifiable cause will prevent a student from completing an assessment, s/he should contact the Module Leader as soon as possible. The Module Leader may, on receipt of appropriate evidence, agree one or more of the actions listed below.
(i) extend an assessment deadline;
(ii) set an alternative assessment, provided the alternative task meets the learning outcomes of the original assessment task. The decision to set an alternative assessment must be agreed no later than one week in advance of the original assessment item deadline; recorded and reported by the Module Leader to the Board of Examiners.
(iii) consult with the Programme Leader who may waive an assessment item provided the marks allocated to such items constitute in total no more than 34% of the module mark. All assessment waivers must be recorded and reported by the Programme Leader to the Board of Examiners."

There also rules relating to "an application for personal circumstances where serious and exceptional factors outside a student’s control" :

"UG.C4.3.2 Personal Circumstances requests may normally only be made no later than five working days after the affected assessment event. This is to enable appropriate consideration by the Faculty Approval Panel in a timely manner and to ensure that the criteria for progression are applied consistently and fairly to all students"

"UG.C4.8 A student may be unable to make a personal circumstances or special mitigation application within the five working days’ time frame. All applications made after this deadline are deemed to be late. Late applications must be submitted with a justification for the inability of the student to submit within the established timeframe."

"UG.C4.9 The Personal Circumstances Panel will determine whether the justification for late submission is valid or not. If the reason for late submission is accepted as valid, then the standard personal circumstances/special mitigation process will apply. Where the Personal Circumstances Panel does not accept the justification for late submission this ends consideration of the application."

My reading of the above is that late submissions are treated the same a non-submissions (and will therefore be scored at 0%). However, if there are compelling reasons to justify why you were late, then you have 5 days to submit a "special mitigation application".

There is a "Personal Circumstances Form Non attempt at Assessment" form here but I would strongly advise that you heed this advice which it contains:

"In the first instance, students are advised to contact their tutor, their local study support team, or another appropriate academic member of staff for advice."

Good luck!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending