The Student Room Group

Are placement hours for a nursing undergraduate separate from the in class hours

So i have been reading and apparently its 37.5 hours of placement each week on a nursing course. But do these hours include class times? Basically are you expected to be in class for teaching 5 days a week and then on top of that there is 37.5 hours of placement?
Original post by Imogency
So i have been reading and apparently its 37.5 hours of placement each week on a nursing course. But do these hours include class times? Basically are you expected to be in class for teaching 5 days a week and then on top of that there is 37.5 hours of placement?

You will either be in uni or on placement - you won't be expected to do both at the same time. You will spend approximately half of your training on placements and the number of placement weeks tends to increase with each year of your degree. Every uni arranges their own timetable so ask for details when you go on an open day.
Reply 2
No.

You will have placements in blocks of some weeks, maybe four or five at first. You will be in university in the time in-between. The amount of placement blocks and the length will increase each year. For example, I only had two 6 week blocks in first year. This year, second, I have three blocks but up to 8 weeks each and only about 5 weeks in university in between.
Reply 3
however thee may be essays that need doing during placement blocks,

Hi,

Most universities run their course in block periods meaning you'll do blocks of placement and then blocks of university, to allow you to put your everything into your academics and also your placements.

Placements are incredibly tiring so most universities want you to focus on that solely during those periods to ensure you get your competencies and episodes of care completely at a high standard. Sometimes, you will have assignments to work on while you are on placement blocks which can be a little overwhelming but I usually just allow myself some time on my days off from placement to steadily work my way through my assignments to ensure I stay on top of it.

I hope this eases your concerns and I wish you the best of luck in your nursing career!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi there, I am a final year student adult nurse at Surrey.

When you are on placement, you have 37.5 hours per week. These can be either in long days in which case you will work 3 days a week and one week you will work 4 days or it will be 5 days on short days. When on placement, they prefer you to work long days.

You do not have lectures when you are on placement. In the time you are not on placement you will be in lectures. At Surrey this is 2 days a week. However, you do need to prepare for lectures and do homework, so whilst 2 days a week in lectures doesn't sound much, you need to do a lot of work at home.

For example, We started back at uni late September. We had 3 weeks of lectures (two days a week). Then in mid October we started a 5 week placement. that finishes this week. Now we are back to university for 5 weeks of lectures. Then in January, we go out on a 5 week placement again.

Hope this helps 🙂

Nicky, Marketing Ambassador

Hi there!

Echoing what other people have replied, you will not be expected to be in university if your weekly placement hours are 37.5hrs

Nat
Second year student nurse

Hi,
So for the adult nursing course at Liverpool John moores you will be required to complete 4,600 hours - 50% will be theory and 50% in clinical practice. This means that you will have seven weeks holiday a year.
[start]Blocks of academic study can be up to six weeks depending on the point in the programme.[/start]
[start]When on placement it will be a 30 hour week and expected 7.5 hours of study.[/start]
Other nursing courses can be found here
https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/faculties/faculty-of-health/school-of-nursing-and-allied-health/courses

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending