The Student Room Group

University Applications - diversity

I got offers from University of Liverpool but I am not sure if I should go because I am worried about the diversity and location . Is it worth going into clearing or UCAS extra since there are spots available in unis like Birmingham or KCL which are more diverse?
Reply 1
I am a bit worried now because I never thought about the diversity of Liverpool, even though I received an offer from there
Original post by favourx
I got offers from University of Liverpool but I am not sure if I should go because I am worried about the diversity and location . Is it worth going into clearing or UCAS extra since there are spots available in unis like Birmingham or KCL which are more diverse?

Only ou can make that decision. All universities will have a diversity of students. All have a considerable amont of overseas applicants and Liverpool wont be any different.
Original post by favourx

Most unis publish diversity statistics on their websites. Download the Diversity & Equality Infographic Report 2020-2021 PDF from Liverpool which includes diversity statistics for staff and students.

Source: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/hr/diversityandequality/reports-and-data/
I think if there are courses in Extra and you feel like you will get an offer you could take the gamble. The past couple of years clearing had been pretty poor with very few universities at the kings level having any places. I think it depends on your risk appetite and course.

Most universities are quite diverse but some attract more international students than others
@favourx

Most cities are diverse, though some cities may have larger communities or big communities based in different areas of the city e.g. in London there is a large Afro-Caribbean community in South London, whereas in East London there is a large Asian community.

It might be an idea to attend an open day or to go to Liverpool on the weekend, so you can get a general feel for the place.

You could also ask the university if your course tends to attract a diverse range of people from different backgrounds.

Even if the course is not as diverse as you would like, it might not be a reason for you to dismiss your offer.

1)Places and courses will not become more diverse, if people from diverse backgrounds avoid them.
2)The courses in Birmingham and KCL may be very different to the course in Liverpool. Check out the modules and how they are assessed.
3)There might also be other factors to consider: accommodation, societies, which university has the best reputation for the course, distance from home, etc....

There are no guarantees with clearing, so it would be a risk if you declined your offer but if you have multiple reasons for not wanting to go, then it might be something to consider, but you would have to be sure about the other uni, and have done your research. Remember: there is no perfect university.

Talk to friends and family.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by favourx

Hi there,

The University of Liverpool is very diverse, there are 130 nationalities within the student population with international students making up 8000 of the total students. In addition there are a huge number of scoeities which represent the promote the culture of many different nationlaities, they host events throughout the year!

In terms of the location, do you have any particular questions or worries about this? Liverpool is very well connected to the rest of the UK e.g. 2 hours to London, 1.5hr to Birmingham and Newcastle, 30 mins to Manchester (all via train).

Let me know if you have any further questions on any of this :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Rubyolo
I am a bit worried now because I never thought about the diversity of Liverpool, even though I received an offer from there

Hii, i also received an offer from liverpool, did you firm liverpool? The diversity of liverpool is something i was also thinking about, but after speaking to a lot of people who have studied there it seems quite diverse! I think it also depends on the nature of your course too im guessing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending