The Student Room Group

Chemistry a level help

How would I go about answering 4c. It’s confusing
Reply 1
Original post by safahh
How would I go about answering 4c. It’s confusing

Hi there!

It looks like you have all the data you need to build an Hess' cycle, where the intermediate products are those of combustion of glucose and combustion of the elements in their standard states. Just make sure that the arrows are pointing in the right direction.
Do you know how to out it together?

let me know how you get on
Reply 2
DFDA15A1-908C-404E-8B75-66062CA92703.jpegI drew something like this but honestly it still doesn’t make sense to me, sorry for bothering you
Original post by _Simo_
Hi there!

It looks like you have all the data you need to build an Hess' cycle, where the intermediate products are those of combustion of glucose and combustion of the elements in their standard states. Just make sure that the arrows are pointing in the right direction.
Do you know how to out it together?

let me know how you get on
Reply 3
Original post by safahh
DFDA15A1-908C-404E-8B75-66062CA92703.jpegI drew something like this but honestly it still doesn’t make sense to me, sorry for bothering you

Hey there!

No bother at all! Here a pic of the exercise.
image.jpg
Please check the math
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0B3zPJPk2U&pp=ygULSGVzcycgY3ljbGU%3D Also this is a you tube link for a tutorial. These guys of snap revise are pretty awesome have a look and let me know how you get on!

Cheers
Reply 4
(Original post by _Simo_)Hey there!

image.jpg
Please check the math
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0B3zPJPk2U&pp=ygULSGVzcycgY3ljbGU%3D Also this is a you tube link for a tutorial. These guys of snap revise are pretty awesome have a look and let me know how you get on!

Cheers

this actually makes so much sense, thank you! One last question... did you do reactants - products because its the formula for the enthalpy change of reaction
Reply 5
Original post by safahh
(Original post by _Simo_)Hey there!

image.jpg
Please check the math

Cheers

this actually makes so much sense, thank you! One last question... did you do reactants - products because its the formula for the enthalpy change of reaction

You can do products-reactant when you have the enthalpy of formation I believe. in this case if you imagine the red arrow as the reaction path, any enthalpy arrow (the black ones) of the same direction get a +ve and the one on the opposite direction gets a -ve. That’s why the arrows’ directions are VERY important.
At the end of the calculation also do a mental check of the sign of the value you obtained. if it is an exothermic reaction as in this case, you expect a negative value for example, just to make sure you got the arrow direction correctly. I

i hope I answered your question.

Quick Reply

Latest