The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

I received an alternative offer and I hate it idk what to do

Long story short, I applied for this UAL for games art but they decided on giving an alternative offer different course that doesn't entirely apply to game arts(production arts for screen) but more generally. I have more than the grades they are asking for and my portfolio for the past year has been built exactly for my chosen course, I asked why this decision was made and they responded with something along the lines of after considering your application our admissions team felt it was not the right course for you so they showed it to (insert course name) and they were very impressed. we hope that you are reassured etc….” I began to consider not going for course anymore but everyone in my life began pressuring into going for it because it’s prestigious” so I tried asking about further information on the course that was ignored and after that I asked if they can reconsider my application for my previous course and if not is it possible to join on the second year. Surprise… they double down on it ignored my question and they asked if I want to talk to have chat with them on why they thought this course was better for me. I’m honestly not sure what to do cause I can really tell that my mom is disappointed that I don’t want it even though she’s trying to hide it. I just thought per hour here and see what people think.
Update: I spoke with admissions they were honest with me that the games art basically did not find my portfolio good enough but they also clarified that this course can give me the same opportunities and if I find that I don’t like it I can transfer at the second year if there are spaces.
(edited 1 year ago)
Why don't you take them up on their offer to explain their decision.It is their course and presumably they have their reasons.Do you have other offers you are happy with.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Why don't you take them up on their offer to explain their decision.It is their course and presumably they have their reasons.Do you have other offers you are happy with.

sorry, forgot to mention that I have, and I’ve been waiting for a response. Thankfully I do have other offers that I am comfortable with, the only reason I haven’t took them is the pressure from everyone to go to UAL.
What are the other choices?We really need more info on the course offered here.How long have you been waiting for them to get back to you as I know time is getting on re selecting your uni.Which Ual uni is the course based at?If you have been waiting for a long time for the art production tutors to get back to you email and put in a phone call tomorrow saying that you need to speak to them as soon as possible.
Original post by DD Starr
sorry, forgot to mention that I have, and I’ve been waiting for a response. Thankfully I do have other offers that I am comfortable with, the only reason I haven’t took them is the pressure from everyone to go to UAL.

Do not do a course because of pressure from other people. Likelihood is if you hate that course you will get a bad grade in it, and the "prestige" of the institution won't mean anything. Do the course YOU want to do. You are paying a lot of money for it I assume.
Original post by DD Starr
Long story short, I applied for this UAL for games art but they decided on giving an alternative offer different course that doesn't entirely apply to game arts(production arts for screen) but more generally. I have more than the grades they are asking for and my portfolio for the past year has been built exactly for my chosen course, I asked why this decision was made and they responded with something along the lines of after considering your application our admissions team felt it was not the right course for you so they showed it to (insert course name) and they were very impressed. we hope that you are reassured etc….” I began to consider not going for course anymore but everyone in my life began pressuring into going for it because it’s prestigious” so I tried asking about further information on the course that was ignored and after that I asked if they can reconsider my application for my previous course and if not is it possible to join on the second year. Surprise… they double down on it ignored my question and they asked if I want to talk to have chat with them on why they thought this course was better for me. I’m honestly not sure what to do cause I can really tell that my mom is disappointed that I don’t want it even though she’s trying to hide it. I just thought per hour here and see what people think.

Yeah, if its not what you want to do then don't accept it. Choose one of the others.
Ultimately it is a rejection for the first course and they have only offered you an alternative one to fill a seat, not because it has any relevance to you.

If you hate the course you've been offered, I would look and see if there are any other courses at the same uni that you would consider. If so, ask if you could swap your offer to that course instead.

But if not, just decline the alternative offer.
@DD Starr

If you really don't want to do the suggested course, then don't feel like you have to do it!

A lot of universities have prestige, but it has to be about the course!

I previously applied to do a Masters for a specific course and did not get it. I was disappointed but was offered the opportunity to do another course which was similar, but was out of my comfort zone. I decided to do it and though it was challenging, I actually think it was better than what I originally opted to study!

It might an idea to find out more about the course they offered you. There might be more to it than it first appears and your strengths may be better suited to it, but if you know you really don’t want to do it then do talk to your family they are there to support you!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending