The Student Room Group

What Would You Like To See From The Chemistry Forum?

Hello everyone, I’m Shyleen, a member of The Student Room's Volunteer Team. I have recently extended my role to include the Study Help section with a focus within the Chemistry forum. Although the forum is already thriving, I believe that there is room for improvement, and I would like to enlist your help in doing so. In this post, I will outline some questions that I hope you can provide feedback on:

1. What do you like about the Chemistry forum?
2. What don’t you like about the Chemistry forum?
3. What additional topics or features would you like to see added to the Chemistry forum?
4. Any further thoughts?

If you have any further thoughts or questions, please feel free to share them. I am eager to hear your feedback and help make the Chemistry forum a better place for everyone.

:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hello everyone, I’m Shyleen, a member of The Student Room's Volunteer Team. I have recently extended my role to include the Study Help section with a focus within the Chemistry forum. Although the forum is already thriving, I believe that there is room for improvement, and I would like to enlist your help in doing so. In this post, I will outline some questions that I hope you can provide feedback on:

3. What additional topics or features would you like to see added to the Chemistry forum?
4. Any further thoughts?

If you have any further thoughts or questions, please feel free to share them. I am eager to hear your feedback and help make the Chemistry forum a better place for everyone.

I wouldn’t say there’s anything I especially dislike about the chemistry forum. It’s so far been a useful place for me to keep my knowledge of chemistry alive whilst doing relatively little chemistry in my gap year.

I would say that the official study threads for chemistry at GCSE and A level are some of the best improvements as of late for the chemistry forum. It would perhaps be nice if there was a similar thread for degree level chemistry, though as there will likely be some huge differences in what content is taught at each university, it is understandable if it is decided this isn’t the best approach.
Original post by 5hyl33n

4. Any further thoughts?

First I am happy with you that you have got it so far. :h:

1.) I like to help people here as good as I can by giving advice or clues.
2.) Maybe lessons I am not so good to help immediately, that is titration and some stoichiometry questions.
3.) topics like reaction mechanism and isomers maybe. They are important and are so rare at this place. As a bonus to them, you can settle some threads in which some reaction mechanisms or calculations in chemistry are explained by examples. With examples to most frequent questions in question papers maybe.
4.) Not really, that's it for first. Good luck for being a Volunteer member in Chemistry!
Original post by TypicalNerd
I wouldn’t say there’s anything I especially dislike about the chemistry forum. It’s so far been a useful place for me to keep my knowledge of chemistry alive whilst doing relatively little chemistry in my gap year.

I would say that the official study threads for chemistry at GCSE and A level are some of the best improvements as of late for the chemistry forum. It would perhaps be nice if there was a similar thread for degree level chemistry, though as there will likely be some huge differences in what content is taught at each university, it is understandable if it is decided this isn’t the best approach.

Ah, I’m glad to hear that you have found the chemistry forum to be a useful resource during your gap year, and that you don't have any major issues with it. I definitely agree that the official study threads for chemistry at GCSE and A level are valuable additions to the forum.

Regarding the possibility of a similar thread for degree level chemistry, you bring up a valid point that there may be significant differences in the content taught at various universities. However, it might still be worth exploring the idea of a degree-level study thread, with the understanding that it would need to be more general in nature. We also need to be wary of collusion/plagiarism. I for one, am interested in learning how universities vary in their approach to topics and content. I should’ve mentioned this in my OP, but I made this thread with the aim of focusing more on GCSE/A-Level Chemistry, so I might not make the university thread. You are, of course, free to create one yourself.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Ah, I’m glad to hear that you have found the chemistry forum to be a useful resource during your gap year, and that you don't have any major issues with it. I definitely agree that the official study threads for chemistry at GCSE and A level are valuable additions to the forum.

Regarding the possibility of a similar thread for degree level chemistry, you bring up a valid point that there may be significant differences in the content taught at various universities. However, it might still be worth exploring the idea of a degree-level study thread, with the understanding that it would need to be more general in nature. We also need to be wary of collusion/plagiarism. I for one, am interested in learning how universities vary in their approach to topics and content. I should’ve mentioned this in my OP, but I made this thread with the aim of focusing more on GCSE/A-Level Chemistry, so I might not make the university thread. You are, of course, free to create one yourself.

Hadn’t thought of that.

I’ll think about making such a thread, but I’ll wait until I’ve actually started at uni before making a decision.
Original post by Kallisto
First I am happy with you that you have got it so far. :h:

1.) I like to help people here as good as I can by giving advice or clues.
2.) Maybe lessons I am not so good to help immediately, that is titration and some stoichiometry questions.
3.) topics like reaction mechanism and isomers maybe. They are important and are so rare at this place. As a bonus to them, you can settle some threads in which some reaction mechanisms or calculations in chemistry are explained by examples. With examples to most frequent questions in question papers maybe.
4.) Not really, that's it for first. Good luck for being a Volunteer member in Chemistry!

That’s very kind of you to say, Kallisto. Thank you. :smile:

It's great to hear that you're willing to share your knowledge and expertise to provide advice and clues for those who are seeking help.

I really like what you’ve suggested within your third point. I’ve made a note of your ideas and will ponder over how to best approach it over the coming weeks.
Original post by 5hyl33n
That’s very kind of you to say, Kallisto. Thank you. :smile:

It's great to hear that you're willing to share your knowledge and expertise to provide advice and clues for those who are seeking help.

I really like what you’ve suggested within your third point. I’ve made a note of your ideas and will ponder over how to best approach it over the coming weeks.

I personally think that my ideas fit well to the sub-forum chemistry exams, if it is about exam questions. Would be nice, if you can realize it anyhow. The lessons are nöt so hard to grasp, but the questions on papers do!

Quick Reply

Latest